Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

06 Malibu DIC locked

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2009, 12:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Malibu DIC locked

Battery died, had to jump start, ever since the DIC says "locked", I cant use the radio or anything associated with the DIC, which sucks.

I took it to GM and they said it'd cost $45 bucks!! screw that, do I have to pay 45 bucks any time my battery dies or I replace the battery? thats stupid... so is there any way for me to fix it?
Old April 17th, 2009, 3:52 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

unfortunately there isn't anything you can do but take it in and have them unlock it with the tech2. Those radios usually don't lock up when the battery is removed, only when they are swapped from vehcle to vehicle. They remember the vin number and as long as the vin matches, you're good to go
Old April 27th, 2009, 9:15 PM
CF Junior Member

that sucks, guess i'll have to go fork over 45 bucks.

The tech at the dealer told me that there is a code to unlock it, but being as I'm not the original owner, I'll never figure it out.

I'll have to go without the radio for a while, Tie rod needs to be replaced first.

Is it still keeping track of my oil life & fuel mileage??
Old May 7th, 2009, 5:37 PM
VB
CF Beginner

Shawn, that is quite clever. Never thought cars would keep track of that. I guess I'm used to the simple stuff of the 80s and early 90s.

Kizzel: Is this the first time for your tie rod? I had it happen to both of mine last year (I have an 04, and it feels like it's happening again).
Old May 9th, 2009, 6:40 AM
Banned

nearly all GM radio are like that now, except for the aveo,G3 and wave....but they have deawoo radios that are just switched 12v. Most of those radio lock when power is lost.
The mailbu radio simply needs a Vin ReLearn done with the Tech2, takes no more than 2mins...5 If its your first time doing it
Old May 9th, 2009, 10:12 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I never heard of a code for a VIN lock radio, I have owned a 04 Malibu since new and know of no code.
Old May 9th, 2009, 12:09 PM
Banned

there is no code......you have to use the tech2 to do a vin relearn on it if you change the radio
Old May 10th, 2009, 10:09 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shawnvw
there is no code......you have to use the tech2 to do a vin relearn on it if you change the radio
Why would the dealer tech say there was?
Old May 10th, 2009, 6:18 PM
Banned

either he didn't know better, or he wanted to tell the customer they need to get one to justify the cost.
I'll bet $100 that if you ask for the code they use, that they cannot produce one
Old May 12th, 2009, 6:22 PM
CF Junior Member

First time for tie rod - 57000 miles. I still havnt replaced it, can't afford to. I just hope I get to it before it snaps.

As for the code, the dealer tech said "You're not the original owner are you? well then we have no way of tracking down the code."

And as for the DIC being locked, its not anymore! no need to take it to the dealer either!

All I had to do was run it nearly out of gas (this happened by pure coincidence) - cash is tight lately so I let the fuel get down there which I rarely do - It told me low fuel, I hit the info button, and wala, radio and everything works now.

Quick Reply: 06 Malibu DIC locked