Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

06 Malibu speaker replacement issue...

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2008, 3:47 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Malibu speaker replacement issue...

I just bought an 06 malibu, quite the upgrade from my '90 cavalier.

Anyway, I had a kickass stereo system in my cav, tore it out before I traded it in. All I want to do is replace the rear 6x9's in my new malibu, but I cant for the life of me figure out how the hell to get them out without breaking something...

I've searched all over for a diagram or something, I spent a good 2 hours in my trunk and backseat trying to find bolts or tabs or clips or something to get that back panel obove the speakers off, and I just cant figure it out. I'm probably overlooking something simple.

Hopefully someone can help

--edit

I should probably note its 4dr sedan ls (3.5 v6)... im sure the maxx has a different setup
Old March 28th, 2008, 8:15 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: 06 Malibu speaker replacement issue...

start by pulling both of the "C"pillar covers off. I think there is a 7mm bolt holding each one in under a cover with the words airbag on it. Going by the book, it says to remove the rear seat completely....lower cusion and seat back. But i'm pretty sure you can get enough room to change the speakers by loosening the top of the seat back, pulling it back enough the lift the rear shelf and change out the speakers
Old March 28th, 2008, 9:41 PM
CF Junior Member

where do I get this "book" you speak of? I sure as hell hope its not the manual that came with the car cuz I went through that pretty good...

Anyway, by "C" pillar covers, are you talking about the little cushions on either side of the fold-down seats? Can I just pull them off without ripping or breaking something or is there a trick to that too?

Like I said I laid in my trunk and backseat with the seats down for 2 hours or so, I was able to lift the rear shelf about an inch in the middle but it seemed to be attached to something on either side, which must be the 7mm bolts you speak of...

Will give it another go tomorrow.
Old March 29th, 2008, 2:53 PM
Banned

The book is GM's service manual
the "C"pillars are the fram of the car that is on either side of the rear glass. There are plastic covers on the inside of the car, they need to come off.
The speakers come off from inside the car not the trunk. You need to take the back seat partially apart like i said in my previous post. When i say loosen the top of the rear seat, you have to remove the bolts that hold it together
Old March 30th, 2008, 3:34 PM
CF Junior Member

Excellent, Thank you for the help. Sorry Im not too familiar with some of the terms.

My last two cars were easy, lay down in the trunk, drop the speakers out, put the new ones in. This is the most amount of work I've had to go through to replace speakers!

Thanks again, now I'm dis-satisfied with the way they sound, they're extremely under-powered. I was hoping I wasnt going to have to install the amp but I guess I am.

--edit

Now that I've looked around all over online and come up with natta... I need to ask

In order to hook up my amp I need power and ground, I was wondering if there's a wiring diagram available (preferably online) or if there's even power & ground I can tap into from the trunk, without having to run new wires?

--edit again

Found some diagrams and info... I should probably just run its own power wire
Old March 30th, 2008, 9:03 PM
Banned

Do the new speakers you installed a snug fit?
Whenever you install and aftermarket amp, you should always run a power wire from the battery. You can ground it to any metal in the trunk. make it easy on yourself and run an accessory wire at the same time
Old April 1st, 2008, 11:27 AM
CF Junior Member

Yeah the speakers are a pube hair bigger than the stock ones, but they fit nice and snug, used the same plastic bracket things as the old ones were in.

I had this amp installed in my cavalier, Powered off the cigarette lighter. Never melted any wires - its not super-powerful or anything, 300w just to power up the 6x9's.

I noticed a few things when I had that rear shelf off. There's a box with some wires running to it, it sits center of the speakers, but I cant tell if it has anything to do with the sound system, or if thats my brake lights, or what.

I know this car has the option of coming with a premium sound system, which I would assume comes with an amp. Mine dosnt have that but I would like to think the wiring & hookups are there in case I decided to upgrade? that would be nice, probably too convenient though...
Old April 1st, 2008, 5:12 PM
Banned

Its not an amp. if you have factory XM, that could be what your looking at, or the Keyless entry module
Old April 1st, 2008, 6:41 PM
CF Junior Member

Probably the keyless entry module, no factory xm.

Probably not recommended that I tap into the fuse box in the trunk? I wont get an accessory but I could theoretically draw power from it
Old April 1st, 2008, 7:41 PM
Banned

there is a yellow wire at the fuse box that is accessory power. it is in connector 1, a 62 pin black plug. it is pin F2.
If you are going to grab power for the amp at the rear fuse box, there is a red\black wire in the same connector pin F8. It is fused under the hood at 60amps. When you hook up your amp, you should throw a fuse in rated at no higher than 30amps.
You will find another red\black wire in pin A4 or A5, avoid using this wire as it supplies voltage to your fuel pump. I would hate to hear of you getting stranded because your amp failed

Quick Reply: 06 Malibu speaker replacement issue...