Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

1982 Chevy Malibu Intake Manifold: 4 bbl to 2bbl

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2009, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 Chevy Malibu Intake Manifold: 4 bbl to 2bbl

Hi, I teach automotive at a highschool. I am a newer teacher to this field (I used to be just Metalwork but had to take over Auto as well) and I am normally a Jeep man. I have not done alot of Chevy Small Block work.

My class is currently fundraising to build a stock car for the local 1/4 mile dirt track and one of the rules is that you must run a 2 barrel carb, stock carb.

We have not bought the car yet but we do have a 82 chevy malibu waiting for us and as far as I know it is a 4 barrel carb.

I need to know if we need to replace the intake manifod as well as the carb or does the same intake manifold work for both. Neither is a problem, I just need to know if I should be looking for an intake as well as the carb.
Old March 13th, 2009, 3:51 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't think you will have to get a new intake. Most of the time, the 2-b carbs will drop right on it. Just make sure of whether you have a spreadbore intake. If you do, that may throw a wrench in your plans.
Old March 13th, 2009, 5:53 PM
CF Veteran

Default intake

if it's a 2brl ,that's what will drop on it ,if its a 4brl that's what will drop on it . if 4 brl you have to use a adaptor to use a 2 brl , or change the intake and carb . here is a supplier for example . http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/carb_fuel_sys_acc.pdf
Old March 13th, 2009, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
I don't think you will have to get a new intake. Most of the time, the 2-b carbs will drop right on it. Just make sure of whether you have a spreadbore intake. If you do, that may throw a wrench in your plans.
Can you explain what spreadbore is?
Old March 13th, 2009, 11:00 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by old dog
if it's a 2brl ,that's what will drop on it ,if its a 4brl that's what will drop on it . if 4 brl you have to use a adaptor to use a 2 brl , or change the intake and carb . here is a supplier for example . http://go.mrgasket.com/pdf/carb_fuel_sys_acc.pdf

hmm interesting, thats definetly the easier path, and I do have a CNC milling machine, I could potentiall make that myself.....