Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2005 malibu

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2019, 8:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 malibu

I have a 2005 malibu 3.5L v6 engine with over 220,000 miles on it. It has always been serviced when due according to previous owner. When I was given the car I was told the master break solenoid needed to be replaced along with the tie-rods. Which we replaced. Although we still experianced a rough idle and alot of vibration while driving. The other day driving at about 75-80 mph the car began to lose power, but never lost electrical power to radio, lights, etc just engine power. No lights other then the one that was already on (traction control) came on. Pulled to the side of road and turned the car off now it will not start. When trying to start it we get no clicking (click, click,click) all it does is make a whurring noise. We have checked the following
Starter
Starter solenoid
Alternator
Crankshaft position sensor
Camshaft position sensor
Pcv value
All intake hoses and valves
Spark plugs
Checked for a spark going to spark plugs also.
Fuel pump
All relays and fuses assosiated with all the above
A person at auto zone said that it was my timing chain?!? Which i hope he is wrong. Has anyone else had any of these problems or know what might be causing it? Everything that we can see is still spinning as far as belts and stuff. I did find a recall for the year and make that involves the ignition switch but when i enter my vin number it doesnt apply to my car.
Old July 12th, 2019, 10:10 AM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

what youre saying doesnt make sense about when its trying to start. you said it "When trying to start it we get no clicking (click, click,click) all it does is make a whurring noise" then you say "we can see is still spinning as far as belts and stuff". to me a "whirling" noise would be the start only spinning without kicking out the bendix (the gear that engages the flywheel/flexplate). this would cause a "whirling" noise. but if you see the belts moving that would mean the bendix is engaging and spinning the motor, which would be a "engine turning over, no start issue"