Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2005 Malibu electrical problem - where to begin?

Search this Thread

Old May 15th, 2012, 9:48 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Malibu electrical problem - where to begin?

I bought a 2005 Malibu LT (75,000 mi.) a couple weeks ago and am still settling into it. I like it very much so far. But I've noticed a few electrical oddities.

I've unlocked the doors, got in and sat in the driver's seat, and before I could get the key in, the horn beeped 3 times. I had already turned off the "Unlock Horn" option in the menu. I don't like a car doing anything I don't tell it to do. I went thru the info menu again and made sure it was turned off. It did it once after that.

I also had the horn beep once at an unexpected time, I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I had already gone thru the menu and turned off all the automatic horn options.

Today I got to the grocery store, shut off the car and removed the key, and the trunk popped open! Weird.

Where do I start to see if I can get this weird stuff under control?

Thanks.
Old May 15th, 2012, 11:11 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by run4ever
I bought a 2005 Malibu LT (75,000 mi.) a couple weeks ago and am still settling into it. I like it very much so far. But I've noticed a few electrical oddities.

I've unlocked the doors, got in and sat in the driver's seat, and before I could get the key in, the horn beeped 3 times. I had already turned off the "Unlock Horn" option in the menu. I don't like a car doing anything I don't tell it to do. I went thru the info menu again and made sure it was turned off. It did it once after that.

I also had the horn beep once at an unexpected time, I don't remember the exact circumstances, but I had already gone thru the menu and turned off all the automatic horn options.

Today I got to the grocery store, shut off the car and removed the key, and the trunk popped open! Weird.

Where do I start to see if I can get this weird stuff under control?

Thanks.
I understand that it isn't always an option, but if you were to choose to visit your servicing dealership to get these electrical concerns looked into, please let us know as we're available to be of any assistance we can be.

Also, if you would like for us to check to see if there are any open recalls on your Malibu, we can do so if you would send us the last 8 digits of your VIN.

All the best,
Sarah (Assisting Louis)
Chevrolet Customer Service