Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Malibu (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/)
-   -   2012 (4cyl) Malibu transmission problem! (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/2012-4cyl-malibu-transmission-problem-51597/)

FSUchamp31 July 3rd, 2012 10:04 AM

2012 (4cyl) Malibu transmission problem!

I would like to know if anyone is having these issues with their 2012 Malibu? HORRIBLE SHIFTING!! shifting from 1st - 2nd is a hard shift and 2nd - 3rd isn't a whole lot better. When it down shifts while coming to a stop it again shifts hard and sometimes abruptly.

I love the car and the ride itself, but this transmission problem on a brand new car is not going to fly with me. Going from my wife's 2012 Ford Fusion to my 2012 Malibu is like night and day. Fusion has more spunk (4cyl) and the shifting is extremely smooth barely even noticable.

Any suggestions are welcome! I am not very happy about this issue especially with less than 2000 miles on the car. :mad:

Thanks everyone!

Chevrolet Customer Service July 3rd, 2012 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by FSUchamp31 (Post 220278)
I would like to know if anyone is having these issues with their 2012 Malibu? HORRIBLE SHIFTING!! shifting from 1st - 2nd is a hard shift and 2nd - 3rd isn't a whole lot better. When it down shifts while coming to a stop it again shifts hard and sometimes abruptly.

I love the car and the ride itself, but this transmission problem on a brand new car is not going to fly with me. Going from my wife's 2012 Ford Fusion to my 2012 Malibu is like night and day. Fusion has more spunk (4cyl) and the shifting is extremely smooth barely even noticable.

Any suggestions are welcome! I am not very happy about this issue especially with less than 2000 miles on the car. :mad:

Thanks everyone!

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing this issue with your vehicle. Have you had the vehicle inspected yet?

Louis
GM Customer Service

kevinkpk July 3rd, 2012 2:40 PM

Is the thing not under warrenty? Take it to the dealer.

Andy Talenda July 4th, 2012 9:07 AM

I agree with the above post. You should bring the vehicle back to your Chevy dealership at your first available convenience. This will be covered by your powertrain warranty as your under 5 years and 100,000 miles.

wbabor September 17th, 2012 6:10 PM

Trans Problems

Yes,

I have a 2012 Malibu(LS) that is only 5 months old(5,600 miles), and I have the same problems you have with an additional one.

When I am am driving between 35 and 45 MPH and try and accelerate slightly I get lumbering of the engine(almost seems like if you had a manual trans that is in too high of a gear)...this is not only dangerous but seems that the timing on the Torque converter is off or the control module is not working properly or worse..

I thought this might improve..but not getting better.

I am going to make an appointment and hopefully they can take care of..otherwise I will leave a compliant on the NTSB board as a possible defect in the trans....wish me luck...

Chevrolet Customer Service September 20th, 2012 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by wbabor (Post 226946)
Yes,

I have a 2012 Malibu(LS) that is only 5 months old(5,600 miles), and I have the same problems you have with an additional one.

When I am am driving between 35 and 45 MPH and try and accelerate slightly I get lumbering of the engine(almost seems like if you had a manual trans that is in too high of a gear)...this is not only dangerous but seems that the timing on the Torque converter is off or the control module is not working properly or worse..

I thought this might improve..but not getting better.

I am going to make an appointment and hopefully they can take care of..otherwise I will leave a compliant on the NTSB board as a possible defect in the trans....wish me luck...

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if !mso]><object classid="clsid:38481807-CA0E-42D2-BF39-B33AF135CC4D" id=ieooui></object> <style> st1\:*{behavior:url(#ieooui) } </style> <![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> wbabor,

I'm sorry you are experiencing these issues with your Malibu vehicle. Please keep us posted of the results of your dealer visit.

If you have any additional questions or concerns, please feel free to contact me privately.

Louis
GM Customer Service

aprilkd October 3rd, 2012 1:06 PM

transmission problem

I have a 2010 Chevy Malibu thats shifting hard around the 2nd or 3rd gear. It don't do it all the time, but if I mash it like I'm getting on the interstate or something, it will do it. It's back at the dealership again. The 1st time they reprogram the computer. I got it back, it was still doing the same thing. Now they are saying it's not doing it with them. Yeah, I'm upset because I just purchased this car 2 weeks ago :mad:. Do anybody have any advice?

Chevrolet Customer Service October 5th, 2012 1:10 PM

aprilkd,

We hope that all goes well with your dealership visit! Keep us posted, and if you would like any additional assistance feel free to contact us privately either via private message on the forum or email.

Sarah (Assisting Louis), Chevrolet Customer Service

PortsmouthChevrolet October 5th, 2012 2:07 PM

Yes, bring it to the dealer. They will definitely be able to help.

sushstewart14 October 8th, 2012 1:33 PM

Same issue here. Brought it to dealer and they acted like I was nuts or something. Waiting for gm customer service to call me back today about the issue. Looks like the only way to get something figured out is to get gm involved. My first chevy i ever owned (avalanche) was a nightmare, so going from that mess to a BRAND NEW CAR with tranny issues won't fly with me.

aprilkd October 9th, 2012 1:00 PM

I got my Malibu back, it's still doing the same thing. Not happy at all. The only change I seen to my vehicle was the gas needle and the receipts for food they left in it. Nothing else changed. It transmisson "hit" so hard on me one time, I looked back to see if I was hit from behind. This is sad and I'm scared to go on the interstate by myself.

Chevrolet Customer Service October 9th, 2012 2:20 PM

Originally Posted by sushstewart14 (Post 228836)
Same issue here. Brought it to dealer and they acted like I was nuts or something. Waiting for gm customer service to call me back today about the issue. Looks like the only way to get something figured out is to get gm involved. My first chevy i ever owned (avalanche) was a nightmare, so going from that mess to a BRAND NEW CAR with tranny issues won't fly with me.

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> sushstewart14,

Please keep us posted. If you would like, PM me your SR# and I will look into your case for additional information for you.

Louis
GM Customer Service

cclayton2804 May 13th, 2013 10:44 AM

Transmission and other issues 2012 Malibu LT2

I have loved my 2012 Malibu until now. It has 23k miles and the transmission is really acting up. When i am accelerating going up hill the thing shimmy's really bad in second gear. When going down a slight hill it will rev to 6k RPM's before sifting from 2nd to 3rd. When cruising at 50mph and slowing down or stopping it shifts really hard from 5th to 4th. I had it in the shop and was told we do not see anything wrong. It seems that once it has been up to interstate speeds that it will not have any issues shifting. I am to go back again Wednesday to have a service person ride with me.

Also now my drivers seat back has come off, the passanger seat is squeaking, the material on both front seats has come lose and the plastic thing on the windsheild that holds the cables from the mirror to the roof fell off in my lap. :mad:

Chevrolet Customer Service May 13th, 2013 2:36 PM

Hi cclayton2804,

So sorry to hear you've been dealing with these issues with your Malibu. That is very strange. Please keep us updated on your second visit with the dealer. Let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

Regards

Amber N.
Chevrolet Customer Care

Unrealrob August 2nd, 2013 6:50 PM

Hi everyone. So I have the exact same "problem." shifting gears while at city speeds feels clunky and slow. Also, when hitting 60 kmph then releasing the gas and coasting to say 55, then applying the gas again creates a violent jerk of the whole car. I've only owned this used car for around 2 weeks now.

I took it to the dealership service centre since it is still on warranty. They did a test drive and reported no problem. There were also no codes showing.

Their statement to me was that I'm not used to the 6 speed automatic transmission and that I just need to get used to it. Also, the jerk at 60 that they DIDN'T feel is likely the torque converter kicking in and that it's totally normal.

I love everything else about the car. I've read reviews online that say the shifting is smooth. I really feel like an idiot here. There is apparently nothing wrong, but it is just not smooth. Comparing the drive to my 2005 Malibu is like night and day. I can hardly tell the shift between gears with the 05'.

Anyway, there is my story. I guess I'm stuck with a car I simply don't like the feel of driving.

GilbertF August 5th, 2013 4:58 AM

Your vehicle is under warranty period so you must go to the chevy dealer to fix the issue and what they do for the solution of the problem; please keep posted here.

EasternShoreMalibu August 10th, 2013 8:00 PM

Wow I am glad I googled this problem. My fiancé owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu 2.4. We are experiencing the exact same problem! We just had it at the dealer for an engine noise that was not replicated by them and a smell. Well the smell was a plastic bag melted to the exhaust pipe. But driving home she observed this engine noise again. We will be calling our dealer Monday morning again to try again to rectify this. I'm not going to bash Chevy over this. Overall she loves the car but it is her mom mobile and we need it safe. The one complaint I do have is the lack of respect for female customers at Hertrich of Denton, MD location! It's caused us to go to their new Easton store which have been awesome! Also I have to make the phone calls and do the talking because she doesn't wanna be laughed at again.

EasternShoreMalibu August 10th, 2013 8:00 PM

Originally Posted by EasternShoreMalibu (Post 254288)
Wow I am glad I googled this problem. My fiancé owns a 2011 Chevrolet Malibu 2.4. We are experiencing the exact same problem! We just had it at the dealer for an engine noise that was not replicated by them and a smell. Well the smell was a plastic bag melted to the exhaust pipe. But driving home she observed this engine noise again. We will be calling our dealer Monday morning again to try again to rectify this. I'm not going to bash Chevy over this. Overall she loves the car but it is her mom mobile and we need it safe. The one complaint I do have is the lack of respect for female customers at Hertrich of Denton, MD location! It's caused us to go to their new Easton store which have been awesome! Also I have to make the phone calls and do the talking because she doesn't wanna be laughed at again.

I should also mention this vehicle has just over 80K miles.

tech2 August 10th, 2013 9:13 PM

when you take your car in to address this issue; insist on test driving with the shop foreman. You drive your car; as you know what to do to make the problem happen, when it occurs, point it out to them each time. They will then be able to recreate the conditions needed to make the problem happen so they can determine what the problem is.

its frustrating on the technicians side when we get a vague description on what the problem is and when it occurs.

Chevrolet Customer Service August 12th, 2013 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by EasternShoreMalibu (Post 254288)

Hello EasternShoreMalibu,

Welcome to the forum! This is a great way to interact with other Chevy vehicle owners. I apologize your fiancé is experiencing a transmission shifting issue. I see you are working with a dealership to help resolve this issue. I am sorry you had a bad experience with the first dealer you were working with but am glad to hear you have found a new one that has been accommodating for you both. Please let us know if you would like our help throughout his process. We are here to assist our customers and help with concerns and questions. We are able to be reached by private message, or via Email at socialmedia@gm.com if you are unable to contact us privately. If you reach out to us, please include your full contact information, VIN, current mileage and name and location of the dealership you are currently working with. We look forward to hearing from you!

Sincerely,

Laura M. (assisting Amber N.)
Chevrolet Customer Care

Tanya Brow November 7th, 2013 6:43 PM

2012 Transmission Problem

I too am having the same problem. The dealer couldn't duplicate the delay I was trying to explain to them. That was back in March 2013, it's now getting cold again and I am having the same issue. I also have a strange grinding noise in the front end when I come to a stop. Brake pads are fine and the "reasoning" I am given is that my car is dirty and there is a lot of dust in there. Seems like a load of garbage to me...

tech2 November 7th, 2013 10:04 PM

if your getting noises when you apply the brakes...99% of the time, its from your brakes.

ever do a brake service? It should be done yearly especially if you live in the rust belt. It will extend the life of your brakes and help prevent the noises your getting now.

I don't know what you do for a living but imagine someone hiring you to do a job. You tell them what needs to be done, and although they have no experience, they scoff at your recommendations. sound about right?

Chevrolet Customer Service November 8th, 2013 10:43 AM

Tanya Brow,

I am sorry to hear you hare having this concern. Please let me know if you would like me to reach out to your dealership. You can private message me your name, VIN, address, phone number, and dealership.

Erica Tiffany
Chevrolet Customer Care

MtStar December 30th, 2013 3:30 PM

Hi, I am having the same problem with my 2012 Chevrolet Malibu, also a 2.4L. I had my husband take it to the dealership today, and they told him that's just how the 6 speed automatics are. I don't buy that, my 14 year old Montana shifts better than my Malibu. We are just past our 300 mile exchange policy and I am going to be upset if I have a new car that shifts that hard. It only seems to do it in lower gears, especially when it shifts down, or from first to second. I noticed this on my way home from the dealership just after buying the car, but when I brought it back like they said, they wouldn't look at it and had me book an appointment. The dealership is over 60 miles away, so needless to say bringing it back to the dealership today pushed me over the 300 mile certified exchange. What do I do?

tech2 December 30th, 2013 8:43 PM

Next time your at a dealer test drive another car the exact same model, trans and engine options. see if that car shifts differently. If its the same, its a characteristic of the trans. If its different you have a problem.

mdean50 May 10th, 2014 8:07 PM

gm isuue

I have the same issue. My friend has an 09 and the trans went out at 70000k. The gm cognition said they should do a recall because that's all he ever fixes. How do I have them fix it without saying it don't happen when its at the dealer. It also has an erratic idle randomly when at a stop

selenathompson May 21st, 2014 12:59 PM

2012 chevy malibu transmission

I think my 2012 chevy malibu transmission is slipping. It shifts hard, and the car is acting funny.. It's not in the recall.. :mad:

joncapri1978 June 5th, 2014 7:24 AM

Same issue with transmission

I have a Malibu 2012, I got it brand new, and the shifting its horrible. I had to renew my driver license and had to do driving test, the guy from DMV actually mentioned the acceleration problem during the test. I took twice already to the dealership, and I was told that that's the way the Malibu was manufactured.
I gave up on it.

joncapri1978 June 5th, 2014 7:29 AM

Same issue with Breaks

Originally Posted by Tanya Brow (Post 260722)
I too am having the same problem. The dealer couldn't duplicate the delay I was trying to explain to them. That was back in March 2013, it's now getting cold again and I am having the same issue. I also have a strange grinding noise in the front end when I come to a stop. Brake pads are fine and the "reasoning" I am given is that my car is dirty and there is a lot of dust in there. Seems like a load of garbage to me...

Tanya! I had the same issue! I replaced the breaks not even 30,000miles on my car. Brand new breaks and pads, it makes the most squishy noise ever!

Nate Klingbeil June 9th, 2014 12:26 AM

I have a 2012 Malibu LT, and I'm experiencing the same problems you're having. I purchased this vehicle used with around 37,000 miles on it about 6 months ago.

The shifting on this vehicle scares me. I'd say 9 times out of 10, it shifts extremely hard, as if it can't decide if it wants to shift or not. After a split second it just "clunks" into the next gear, and I can feel it throughout the entire car. It does the same thing when I downshift as well, especially from 3rd to 2nd gear. It's almost like the transmission can't decide weather to shift or not.

I've taken my car to the dealer twice. Once was maybe 3 months ago. They reset the computer and told me if it didn't make a difference to come back. It seemed like it made a difference, but after a week or so I was facing the same problem.

I haven't had until this last week to take it back to the dealer. They couldn't duplicate the problem so they just returned the car to me. I'm getting very annoyed with this issue!

I love the car, it rides great and it's extremely comfortable. But if I can't figure out what's going on with this transmission, I'm afraid I won't be able to keep it for much longer.

Another problem I'm having with this car is whenever I start it up, it revs (by itself) to around 2,000rpms. Once it's at around 2,000rpms, it drops to 500-600rpms as if it were going to die. It goes back and forth until it eventually evens out and idles smoothly. I'm not sure if these two problems coincide with each other or not, but I just figure I'd let you guys know if it helps at all.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Chevrolet Customer Service June 9th, 2014 1:29 PM

Hey Nate,

I apologize that you are experiencing these concerns with your Malibu. If you would like me to look into this further, I would be happy to assist. Send me over a PM with your VIN, current mileage, contact info and a preferred dealership? Hopefully we can discuss this further, and find a resolution!

Patsy G
Chevrolet Customer Care

Cal October 3rd, 2016 8:45 PM

Originally Posted by FSUchamp31 (Post 220278)

Thanks everyone!

I have a 2012 Malibu and my tranny just went for a **** it's o my 145000 kms and this thing is maticulously taken care of never ridden hard and I'm just wondering how this is possible like I love this car it's super reliable up until now it won't shift out of first anymore so now I have to have my trannh redone or replaced I'm just sad cuz otherwise it's an AWSOME car

Zacheri Rutherford October 15th, 2016 4:53 AM

i have a 2001 malibu 3100 and it is idling up and down in overdrive like its kickin down then back in,,, do u think in transmission or possibly torque converter,,,, i know it needs a filter and fluids changed but i doubt that will solve the issue

Chevykev November 5th, 2017 9:37 AM

I am the original owner of a 2012 Malibu LT 4cyl with the Allstar Package.
The car has just over 18,000 miles as I live and work in the same town.

The 4 issues I’ve encountered with is car:

1) The warning chimes stopped working. I replaced the front speakers with Kenwoods because I noticed that the drivers side speaker was working periodically. I feel that I got lucky that the new speakers was the fix.

2) Moisture in both headlamps. Brought the car to the dealership, Reedman-Toll, in Lancaster, PA for this issue. They only replaced the passenger side headlamp because they told me that GM requires a certain percentage of moisture in a headlamp to justify replacing it. To this day, the drivers side headlamp lens continues to have moisture in it after it rains or I wash my car. This makes the front of my car look like crap.

3) I noticed that when I changed my oil, the oil pan was completely covered with an oil film. This was another issue I brought to Reedman-Toll for repair. They replaced a shaft seal to remedy the problem but it doesn’t appear that it fixed it. I just changed my oil yesterday and the oil pan is still wet with an oil leak. I’d guess the oil pan bolts need to be retorqued or the pan gasket needs to be replaced.

4). The most major issue: Transmission shifts like crap. 1st to 2nd shifts hard very regurlarly... 2nd to 3rd isn’t much better. When slowing down to a red light that turns green before you stop, you have to be very gentle on the throttle or it’s going to shift hard into the gear that it wants to go in. Horrible. This was brought to Reedman-Toll and the shop manager went for a ride with me. His solution was telling me that “That’s how they all shift... there are many Malibu’s out there with many miles on them that shift like yours.” Really???

Its dissapointing to me that I have to live with these issues. I’ve purchased and driven nothing but GMs since I started driving.

Unless Chevy can come up with a solution for my erratic transmission and engine oil leak, I’ll have to look into other manufactures for my next vehicle. That’s a shame because I get complements on my Crystal Red Tintcoat Malibu all of the time.

HKraus3880 June 12th, 2018 7:54 PM

2012 transmission issues as well

Its extremely frustrating as mine has been in dealer since last Thursday. they can’t get it to produce a code but the tech has had it recreated. today they tried again but couldn’t get it to do it again. My warranty is up soon and I’m freaking out that this isn’t gonna be taken care of....