Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Malibu (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/)
-   -   2017 Flooded (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/malibu-15/2017-flooded-91119/)

HispanicPanic July 6th, 2018 12:47 PM

2017 Flooded

Hey guys, looking at buying a 2017 that had been flooded. Outside of the obvious mechanicals, i was wondering where the engine ECM is located on the vehicle. I know a lot of cars have different control modules under the seats, i'm just not sure which ones are located in this area for the 9th gen. I don't think the water level got very high, but it was high enough to total it.

Also, it has the leather seats, so if anyone has recommendations for solutions to use on the interior, let me know.

tech2 July 6th, 2018 1:52 PM

Originally Posted by HispanicPanic (Post 359202)
Hey guys, looking at buying a 2017 that had been flooded. Outside of the obvious mechanicals, i was wondering where the engine ECM is located on the vehicle. I know a lot of cars have different control modules under the seats, i'm just not sure which ones are located in this area for the 9th gen. I don't think the water level got very high, but it was high enough to total it.

Also, it has the leather seats, so if anyone has recommendations for solutions to use on the interior, let me know.

behind the left headlamp. be wary of this purchase...hope its dirt cheap. It will also have a salvage title so it would be very hard to sell.

HispanicPanic July 6th, 2018 2:25 PM

Originally Posted by tech2 (Post 359206)
behind the left headlamp. be wary of this purchase...hope its dirt cheap. It will also have a salvage title so it would be very hard to sell.

Thanks. Are there any other modules or relays under the seats or near the footwell? I know water got inside the car but i think it was only an inch or two.

tech2 July 6th, 2018 10:02 PM

unless you see the waterline you will never know how high the water got. this is an "as is" purchase so you have no recourse after you have paid. Are you sure you don't want to leave this to a professional; you could potentially be into this for more than buying a used one

HispanicPanic July 8th, 2018 11:25 AM

I guess i could have a professional give the car a look-through.

HispanicPanic July 8th, 2018 2:58 PM

Got some information from the insurance company that previously insured the vehicle. It was driven through a puddle and the engine stalled. I'll see if i can get more information but if there's a bent rod then this car will likely be a no-go. Not sure how much a 1lt engine is but even if i swap it, i'm sure the powertrain warranty would be voided. It's a 2017

oilcanhenry July 9th, 2018 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by HispanicPanic (Post 359283)
Got some information from the insurance company that previously insured the vehicle. It was driven through a puddle and the engine stalled. I'll see if i can get more information but if there's a bent rod then this car will likely be a no-go. Not sure how much a 1lt engine is but even if i swap it, i'm sure the powertrain warranty would be voided. It's a 2017

Driven through a "puddle". Hell I used to cross water that was knee high or higher in my old Jeep CJ-5 with no problems. Something doesnt sound right here.