Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

2017 Flooded

Search this Thread

Old July 6th, 2018, 12:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 Flooded

Hey guys, looking at buying a 2017 that had been flooded. Outside of the obvious mechanicals, i was wondering where the engine ECM is located on the vehicle. I know a lot of cars have different control modules under the seats, i'm just not sure which ones are located in this area for the 9th gen. I don't think the water level got very high, but it was high enough to total it.

Also, it has the leather seats, so if anyone has recommendations for solutions to use on the interior, let me know.
Old July 6th, 2018, 1:52 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by HispanicPanic
Hey guys, looking at buying a 2017 that had been flooded. Outside of the obvious mechanicals, i was wondering where the engine ECM is located on the vehicle. I know a lot of cars have different control modules under the seats, i'm just not sure which ones are located in this area for the 9th gen. I don't think the water level got very high, but it was high enough to total it.

Also, it has the leather seats, so if anyone has recommendations for solutions to use on the interior, let me know.
behind the left headlamp. be wary of this purchase...hope its dirt cheap. It will also have a salvage title so it would be very hard to sell.
Old July 6th, 2018, 2:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
behind the left headlamp. be wary of this purchase...hope its dirt cheap. It will also have a salvage title so it would be very hard to sell.

Thanks. Are there any other modules or relays under the seats or near the footwell? I know water got inside the car but i think it was only an inch or two.
Old July 6th, 2018, 10:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

unless you see the waterline you will never know how high the water got. this is an "as is" purchase so you have no recourse after you have paid. Are you sure you don't want to leave this to a professional; you could potentially be into this for more than buying a used one
Old July 8th, 2018, 11:25 AM
CF Beginner

I guess i could have a professional give the car a look-through.
Old July 8th, 2018, 2:58 PM
CF Beginner

Got some information from the insurance company that previously insured the vehicle. It was driven through a puddle and the engine stalled. I'll see if i can get more information but if there's a bent rod then this car will likely be a no-go. Not sure how much a 1lt engine is but even if i swap it, i'm sure the powertrain warranty would be voided. It's a 2017
Old July 9th, 2018, 12:04 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by HispanicPanic
Got some information from the insurance company that previously insured the vehicle. It was driven through a puddle and the engine stalled. I'll see if i can get more information but if there's a bent rod then this car will likely be a no-go. Not sure how much a 1lt engine is but even if i swap it, i'm sure the powertrain warranty would be voided. It's a 2017
Driven through a "puddle". Hell I used to cross water that was knee high or higher in my old Jeep CJ-5 with no problems. Something doesnt sound right here.