Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

202 Malibu No Start Nightmare

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2009, 5:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 202 Malibu No Start Nightmare

Hello Folks,

I got a gently used 2002 Malibu in September of last year. After about a month of owning it I would go to start the car and it would turn over but not start. It would do it at random times, usually when I really needed to get moving.

I took it to the local Chevrolet service center and they told me the ignition switch was failing. So, $345 later I have a new iginition switch. Not more than a week later the no-start problem returns. I have the car towed back to the same chevrolet service center. Now they say my fuel pump is going out. They wanted to charge me $2000+ to replace that. I ended up putting in the new fuel pump whith the help of a local mechanic for just over $200. The no-start problem is now happening more frequently and has left me with a dead battery severel times after trying to get the car to start.

Could I possibly need a new fuel filter? I have double checked my work with the fuel pump. Any advice would be great. I am really trying to keep this car running as long as possible due to the shortage of $$$.

Last edited by etusn831; February 28th, 2009 at 5:14 PM.
Old March 1st, 2009, 9:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the no start you need to find out what is missing, no spark, no fuel injector activation, no fuel pump, you can hear that.
Throwing parts at it can get expensive.
If it is security it should start and run for a few seconds, the security light should also be flashing.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 7:25 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by slls
When the no start you need to find out what is missing, no spark, no fuel injector activation, no fuel pump, you can hear that.
Throwing parts at it can get expensive.
If it is security it should start and run for a few seconds, the security light should also be flashing.
I can hear the fuel pump after I crank the engine and when initially turning on the key. The security system is working normally. Also, the car has never shut off during mid-run. Just fails to start. Usually after the engine has had a chance to cool down some. Thats when it usually happens. It never happens if the engine is cold like when left off overnight. Also never happens if the engine is warmed up and then shut off and imediatly started. Also, the Check Engine lite is on during cranking and while the key is in the ON position. Not sure that is pertinent or not.

How would I determine a lack of spark or lack of injector? I don't have a code reader yet...

Last edited by etusn831; March 2nd, 2009 at 7:28 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something...
Old March 5th, 2009, 1:39 PM
Banned

Well with out a code reader its hard to tell. I will give my suggestion anyways... If by chance you have a mechanic or someone who can come out with a code reader and hook it up to it. If it comes down to an injector, swap the injector around and see if the code follows. If it does, then you found the bad injector.

Throwing money at a car is never a good idea, but I am sure its cheaper for you to pick up the fuel rails from a local junk yard then to tow it back to the dealer. I try to never suggest that, but if you cannot move the car... eh, you may buy them and then it turn out to not be an injector and that would be worse.

Ok forget about the previous no start. Start from ground zero. If the fuel filter has never been changed and you are aroun 70K I would take care of that. Second, when you try to turn on the car all the dash lights come on correct? Do you hear a click?
Third, when you turn the key to on, but do not attempt to start the car do you hear the fuel pump prime? It should sound like a whirring noise. Or as some would describe a buzzing.
Old March 6th, 2009, 8:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by OnDaGround
Well with out a code reader its hard to tell. I will give my suggestion anyways... If by chance you have a mechanic or someone who can come out with a code reader and hook it up to it. If it comes down to an injector, swap the injector around and see if the code follows. If it does, then you found the bad injector.

Throwing money at a car is never a good idea, but I am sure its cheaper for you to pick up the fuel rails from a local junk yard then to tow it back to the dealer. I try to never suggest that, but if you cannot move the car... eh, you may buy them and then it turn out to not be an injector and that would be worse.

Ok forget about the previous no start. Start from ground zero. If the fuel filter has never been changed and you are aroun 70K I would take care of that. Second, when you try to turn on the car all the dash lights come on correct? Do you hear a click?
Third, when you turn the key to on, but do not attempt to start the car do you hear the fuel pump prime? It should sound like a whirring noise. Or as some would describe a buzzing.

Thanks for your help! I bought the car with 86k miles and now it has 106k so, I would imagine its time for a fuel filter. I am not hearing a click when turning the key on. But, I do hear the fuel pump prime. I also hear the fuel pump prime after each failed start. All dash lites come on and then go off. Check engine lite stays on. Also, after about 5 - 10 seconds of cranking, the fuel gauge drops to empty and the low fuel lite comes on. is that part normal?

About the code reader, will the car still show the code even if the engine starts? I would have to wait for a no-start day before I either get my mechanic friend or borrow a code reader.
Old March 9th, 2009, 7:23 AM
Banned

If the key is in the on position, the fuel gauge should not drop back down. Sounds like it is possible to be an ignition switch issue. The click I was referring to would be the starter trying to function or possibly the battery. The dash lights could still possibly be on, even if the battery is not up to starting the car. So as a trial run, you could try to jump it. If it doesn't work that rules out one possibility.

Electrical problems are a PITA. The only reason I would say its not the Ignition Switch is because you still have a constant check engine light on.

To answer your question about the scan tool. Yes, you can still pull codes even if the vehicle doesn't start.

Well hopefully you can get a code reader soon. I would hate to tell you what to remove and test to diagnose that way. That's a pain and a waste of time. I would start with the starter for the hell of it if it were me. But that's a pain. Try to jump it for giggles and see what happens.
Old April 1st, 2009, 9:32 AM
CF Beginner

This kinda of sounds like a problem we've constantly had with our malibu. It randomly just doesnt start, everything has elect. but it doesnt start. We're always told that its a faulty BCM (body control module). Its a common problem with this year and model by chevy. One trick is to turn it to the ON position for 10 mins or more, turn it off... then try to see if it cranks over... hope this helps
Old April 2nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
Banned

I am sure he has solved this by now. I hate when people do not follow up.
Old April 13th, 2009, 5:03 AM
CF Beginner

It kind of sounds like he got a bad ignition switch installed when the first repair was made. Need to pull the codes to see what it is. I think a bad ignition switch (PASS-Lock failure) is code B2960. Will only show up on code readers that can read the BCM codes.
Old June 6th, 2009, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Default If you have Electronic Theft-Protection: I have answer

Philis09 is right on track!
This kinda of sounds like a problem we've constantly had with our malibu. It randomly just doesnt start, everything has elect. but it doesnt start. We're always told that its a faulty BCM (body control module). Its a common problem with this year and model by chevy. One trick is to turn it to the ON position for 10 mins or more, turn it off... then try to see if it cranks over... hope this helps.

I had the same start problems, and the dealer put in a new fuse box $500, then luckly under warranty I had the fuel pump changed out. IT WAS NEITHER of these problems, or the BMS. IT WAS THE STUPID ANTI_THEFT at the ignition. I spent 1 whole year at random times having to wait 10 minutes for the theft light to stop blinking in-order to start my car. That was no fun at all.

There is a simple fix that costs less than $1. Bypass the theft system by soddering a resister at the ignition wires. By bypassing the theft system, you lose that function and do not have that protection. Or have a garage add a remote starter costs btw $100-200.

Sketch222 disclaimer: I am not responsible for any damages to others vehicles, for anyone attempting the suggestions above. This is just an open forum for ideas!

Quick Reply: 202 Malibu No Start Nightmare