Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

'98 Cooling Problems

Search this Thread

Old August 16th, 2008, 11:09 PM
jph
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '98 Cooling Problems

Need some guidance from someone who has hopefully solved my problem on their own car. I have a '98 4cyl that loses coolant, no matter how many times I fill it. I keep looking for a leak, but have yet to find anything. Pulled plugs today, and no signs that water is leaking into the combustion chambers; besides, that car actually runs too good for a bad head gasket. Crankcase is water-free with only oil coming off the dipstick. Checked all the hoses, and for any other signs of a leak and cannot find a thing out of place.

This is maddening. The reservoir will be full, and yet the low water indicator light comes on; sometimes. Fill the reservoir, it will push water out of the reservoir with the cap off like there is air in the system. Wait for the thermostat to open, engine running, heater valve full hot inside the car, top it off, then cap it and run it. Until it runs low on water again. Temp guage reads a little higher than halfway, whichhas not happened until recently.

Car has about 120K on it, water pump has been changed by Chevrolet, although not recently. My dad bought this car new, kept on top of the maintenance, and gave it to me a couple years ago.Can't believe filling the radiator is kicking my butt. Please tell me there is trick or quirk to this car I don'tknow about. Like the reservoir is not the highest point in the cooling system.Leaning towards blaming the pump since it was not mine when itwas changed, and I don't know how long ago it was replaced.

The water pumpis run by the timing or serpentine belt?Will the weep hole leak outside of the crankcase or inside of it? I know it is pumping water, but maybe this awesome "new and improved" pink antifreeze ate the seal.

I'll buy a virtual round of beers if someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks all!
Old August 17th, 2008, 9:26 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: '98 Cooling Problems

when looking at the motor from the front of the car, check the right front corner of the block where the head meets. Look for either a wet corner, or white chaulky powder. These motors ar bad for head gaskets leaking in that corner and willl only leak externally. It usually leaks slow enough that it will evaporate from the heat of the engine before it leaks onto the ground. A quick fix would be a stop leak. I have had good luck with a powder rad stop leak. They have seen the stop leaks last over a year.