Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

99 Malibu V6 overheating issues - HELP PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bled the air out through the water pump bleeding screw. I'll take a look at it as soon as I can. The burbling was definitely the coolant because I took a look at it after turning off the car and as it did it, coolant was spilling through the overflow valve. I'll post up as soon as I check it.
Old February 24th, 2012, 1:04 PM
CF Beginner

my 03 was doing the same thing, it was the intake manifold gasket.
Old February 25th, 2012, 4:16 AM
CF Beginner

There is a screw in the thermostat housing that connects to the coolant reservoir, just to check, I disconnected it from the reservoir and allowed it to bleed while topping of the coolant and now the temp. gauge seems to be reading even hotter (I guess there might have been some air in there after all). Now the gauge stays between 190 and 210. At least I ran it and did not see any coolant spillage through the overflow valve. I'll keep updating and thanks for all the input.
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:34 PM
CF Beginner

Ok update, so 2 days ago the car was running fine until I hit a bit of a traffic jam (about 5 minutes at a crawling pace thanks to construction workers) and the car really overheated (from 230 and almost 240F). So after it was over I decided to not go below 60mph to help cool down the car and to my surprise it wouldn't go below 220. So when I finally got home I popped the hood to find that both fans were running at full speed but the fan at the return side of the radiator was pulling hot air while the other one was pulling cold air, so practically the car must've had a huge pocket of air in the system o a clogged radiator. Today I pulled all of the hoses and stuck the water hose to flush it all out, everything turned out to be clean and after I put everything back together it starts cooling like it should. Tonight I'm going to test it and if anything happens I'll update again. Thanks for all the tips and help
Old March 2nd, 2012, 1:57 PM
CF Beginner

We bled the screw and did release some air, there was some brownish water coming out as it was releasing. Someone suggested completely flushing the radiator to see if there is a block somewhere that the brownish color is coming from. Do you think this is worth doing?

After bleeding the system, we drove around quite a bit locally and had no overheating issues whatsoever. We decided to head out onto the freeway and went a few miles at 60 mph with no issues. Upon exiting the freeway and pulling up to the stop light we could hear the gurgling of the water in the overflow tank and stopping at the grocery store, it proceeded to drain quite a bit out the overflow tube. We let it cool, filled it back with water and came home. It has just been sitting there ever since.

Like I mentioned earlier, the fans go on when you switch on the a/c, but I they do not go on while idling in the driveway for a length of time. Could there be a block in the radiator that is stopping the switch from knowing that it needs to switch the fans on?

I am so tired and wish it would just work already! Thanks for your help.
Old March 5th, 2012, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Right now my car has not given me any more cooling problems, but in your case the first thing I would do is to flush the entire system until you have clean water/coolant mixture. Also in my case, I figured that for the coolant to boil with the temp. sensors working fine must be due to an air pocket in the system (the coolant boiling thanks to that hot spot and then going through the pipe that drains into the reservoir, thus the temp sensor not seeing a temp. rise in the coolant).

Btw. You can flush the radiator in about 20 min. by just disconnecting the hoses, so its worth it IMHO, but since you're saying that the brown color was coming out of the engine, try flushing it first if not altogether. I did things a little at a time in order to not take too much time at once, but it does'nt mean you have to do the same.
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:30 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the same problem. Im looking to replace the reverse poppet thermostat with a 185 degree one instead of a 195 degree unit with the same size. This way the coolant will be forced to go thru the rad sooner thus keeping the coolant cooler. If anyone knows of the cross over part numbers, let me know. Thanks
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lower degree thermostat won't make a difference unless the current one is somehow defective.