Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Car shutting off while driving

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2019, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car shutting off while driving

2015 Chevy Malibu LS
120k miles
July check engine light came on. I thought it was for my oil since I was behind. Went and had my oil serviced. (light never went out)
A few days later, went to the gas station, filled up. 30 minutes after that, my car started to jerk as if you were running out of gas. Dash said, "No oil to engine. Shut car off".
Check engine light = P16D0.
Per mechanic and dealer, usually need to replace intake/exhaust valves. Done. Didn't fix the issue.
Replaced the connectors. Did not work.
Replaced the EGR. As I was driving away from the mechanic's, my car jerked the entire way home and shut off three times.
Next day, stopped acting up. It was good for two weeks.
Last night, I heard the god awful noise right before it starts messing up and sure as ****, my care started jerking and struggled. As I was driving it shut down.
Any time my car shuts off mid-drive, my steering wheel won't lock up until I come to a complete stop. Not sure if that's important but hey, there you go.

Took my car to the dealer today and they still haven't figured much out other than I needed a new air filter. She stated it looked as if it got wet and crumbled.
I feel like there could be an underlying reason to this as I just checked my filter not too long ago and it was fine.
I would hope someone who have check my filter since it's been in the shop at least four times since July.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by QueenB; September 30th, 2019 at 8:57 PM.