Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Dealer suggested to replace both control arms... but I don't believe him|Malibu MAXX

Search this Thread

Old June 5th, 2009, 2:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Dealer suggested to replace both control arms... but I don't believe him|Malibu MAXX

Dealer suggested to replace both control arms... but I don't believe him (Malibu MAXX 2005)

So here is the story:

I noticed that my steering a bit of centered... I went to the dealer and asked to do alignment, they call me back and made me happy saying you need to replace both from control arms in order to proceed with alignment and it will cost you 1000$+TAX (CAD) and the reason is right one has loose ball joint, left has bushing torn ....

Wow.... what a surprise, I've canceled all that.... when I got my car back I rise my car and when wheel was off the ground grabbed it and tried to rock it left-to-right... then top-to-bottom.... when I did left to right rocking I noticed some dull "cling" noise I suspect this was the a tie rod and steering thing... because when car on parking and I spinning st wheel left-right quickly I have similar noise.....

Then I removed left wheel and examined all what I can see around. Tried to rock tie rods, control arm (impossible to move at all, it is dead on)... what I notice though I can move by hands that big bar which comes from left to right sides... (stabilizer ?) I suspect this thing rattles when I go over potholes...

Didn't see any torn bushings on control arm, didn't see torn ball joint rubber... but could check ball joint movements because it constantly loaded by spring.

May be if I have time I will check left side as well.... to see what is going on with bushings.

Any advise on that? What other test I can do to localize the problem if it exists?

PS. I hope I've explained the story well enough with my so-so English grammar.
Old June 5th, 2009, 4:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

Your english is at least as good as mine .

Cant they just replace the bushing and ball joints? (Allthough i suspect that will also be about 1000 dollars :-S )

If your car is from 2005 , then either you made one hell of a jump down a cliff with your car (You are NOT the duke of hazard !!!!!!! ) or they are messing with you.

"what I notice though I can move by hands that big bar which comes from left to right sides... (stabilizer ?) I suspect this thing rattles when I go over potholes..." Thats not the stabilizer. The stabilizer looks a lot like a shock absorber and is placed UNDER that long rod.

Why dont we start at the beginning. And the beginning is... "Are you SURE your steering is off center? "
How can you be sure...Well, the first markings of off centered steering can be seen on the tires. Both tires always need to be replaced at the same time. So if one tire gets worn faster then the other, THATS when you know your steering is of center.
Sometimes you can simply have the impression its off center, just because all the weight of your car is on one side (how much do you weigh? ) or side wind or ... .

And if the car is indeed not correctly balanced, then there can still be about 100 reasons why it is so. Not enough pressure in one of the tires, your steering wheel itself that isnt centered correctly, a type of tires that cant support the heavy weight of your car, a malfunction shock absorber, tires that arent balanced out properly... .
My advice to you would be to go to a second car mechanic and ask his or her opinion. Personally i never heard of a four year old car that needs his control arms replaced. Unless you truly are the duke of hazard?
Old June 16th, 2009, 11:56 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Koffietje for such long reply.

I decided I reply the same with camera and will show what I mean. I never jumped from cliffs and get into sever holes... but keep in mind Quebec roads in not perfect (occasionally I go skiing)

I will check tires wear/pressure tomorrow. But when I drive straight me steering turned 15 degrees to the right. Saying "stabilizer" I meant "sway bar" - big curved piece of metal goes from one side to another.... I can rock it... looks like bushings on it are loose/old...

PS I'm ~145 pounds