Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Electric Steering Problem

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2010, 7:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Electric Steering Problem

2005 Malibu LS with 3.5 liter engine. Belongs to my daughter and transports my grandsons. She reported that a couple of times when she has stopped recently, the steering seems to either lock-up or is real hard to turn. She then turned off the engine and restarted and the problem went away. Could this electric motor assist lock-out at speed? She lives in Dallas and traffic congestion is the word of the day. Is the electric assist motor the problem? Is there a recall on this? Is there a fix? Ideas anyone?
Old December 12th, 2010, 2:22 AM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up MaxChoose.com - Consumer Electronics Wholesalers

Welcome to MaxChoose.com - We are the NO.1 Wholesale Dropshipper in the UK. While Importing and Distributing Wholesale Products for the last three years, we have become one of the most reputable Wholesale Dropshippers in the sector. Our Consumer Electronics and Accessories are all Supplied from Leading Manufacturers, and our Drop Shipped products are of the highest quality: Wholesale Ipods & Accessories, Brand Name Cell Phones, Nintendo wii, Playstations, Gaming Accessories & much more!
Old December 16th, 2010, 1:48 AM
CF Junior Member

It is entirely possible that there is a recall on your model. I received a letter in the mail for a recall on my 2006 LS w/ 3.5 for the electric assist steering. It states that the recall will only cover costs of repair if it is within 100,000 miles or 10 years - so depending on the mileage I would definitely take it to a GM dealer and ask about the recall, or look it up online.