Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

I have a 99 malibu 3.1 j model what are signs pcm is going out!

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2010, 6:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I have a 99 malibu 3.1 j model what are signs pcm is going out!

i know about the over heat problems i have finally got the air out of the cooling system my gas gauge is going to full & back & fourth but i no for a fact that there is only a couple gallons it says 1st the # 5 cyl missfire then it went to #6 then said misc missfire & it says my evap circut something is wrong car dosnt missfire tell the thermostat opens then it runs like dog snot it dosnt overheat but the missing has me stumped maybe the damn lower intake is leaking but if anyone knows what a bad pcm does please help thanks!
Old September 18th, 2010, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The PCM cn cause several engine control malfuctions. It can cause everything you mentioned and more. When it's going bad it senses things that aren't happening and responds to the wrong information, wreaking havoc. Because they have to be flashed with the correct info for your car, ie the vin #, milage etc. most people think you have to purchase it directly from the dealer for $500. to $800. You can actually get a remanned one that has been flashed for $200.00 to $300.00 online. They carry a full warrenty. One way to check is if you can get a known good one from another malibu. It will fix the problem if that's what is causing it.