Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Idle and load problems

Search this Thread

Old October 25th, 2008, 9:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle and load problems

Okay my Wife's car (2001 Malibu) had been doing this for a while now. When ever you have drove it and come to a stop the engine jerks kind of like it is misfiring. It has no pattern just when it wants to. Now whenever it goes up hill and gets to about 2000 rpm it jerks like it is missing again and whenever it is doing this the check engine light blinks but then goes off after the hill. No error codes or nothing. Maybe I can change the fuel filter and clean the injectors. Just had new plugs put in. New EGR and CAT 1 year ago. New O2 sensor about 5 months ago. Has always been a dependable car. ANy ideas? Thanks.
Old July 12th, 2010, 12:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my car has a similar problem

my wifes 2002 malibu has a very similar problem when under a heavy load or when the ac is on the car will buck and misfire and is will not idle very long without stalling i have been at this for a while the scan tool says the 3x low resolution engine speed is way off the readout looks like a slot machine spining with random numbers when the problem occurs I have verified this with my meter on HZ and i can see the signal jumps way up to double the speed it should be when the problem occurs I have already replaced the cam and crank sensors the problem is the same going into the ignition module and coming out so i thougt it must be the crank sensor but no luck this is driving me mad have you figured anything out?