Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Key won't turn to the lock postion.

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2009, 7:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Key won't turn to the lock postion.

So I put my transmission into park, and I noticed that it didn't click into place. When I tried to turn the key and take it out of the ignition, it wouldn't go any further then the ACC place. I pulled the fuses and it fixed the problem for like two seconds and then the same thing. Making me believe it is an electrical problem. PLEASE HELP!!!
Old October 18th, 2009, 11:39 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by jlkrohn
So I put my transmission into park, and I noticed that it didn't click into place. When I tried to turn the key and take it out of the ignition, it wouldn't go any further then the ACC place. I pulled the fuses and it fixed the problem for like two seconds and then the same thing. Making me believe it is an electrical problem. PLEASE HELP!!!
I know this is an old post, but it was an unanswered one. My wife and I have the same issue with our '03 malibu. Make sure it clicks once you put it into park otherwise it's not going to turn all the way, like you said. Common sense would tell you that if you put it into park and it didn't click then there's your issue, why are you going into the electrical realm of things? If it doesn't click just jiggle it a little and it will click.

-Zervic
Old October 20th, 2009, 9:00 PM
CF Beginner

Talking Here's How I Fixed It!

Hey guys i had the same problem. The problem is the neutral safety cable attached to the ignition switch. I fixed it by disconnecting just so it wouldn't cause me anymore trouble. The only side effect is that you could start your car in gear now but i wouldn't advise that.
Old October 27th, 2009, 2:21 PM
CF Beginner

Wow, I have the same problem with my 02. It is pretty annoying, especially if you let someone who doesn't know drive it. You just have to moved the shifter back and forth a little bit.