Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

P0240 Code - Need Help - Don't Know What Issue Is

Search this Thread

Old June 13th, 2012, 11:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0240 Code - Need Help - Don't Know What Issue Is

I've been chasing this issue for a while, and I'm not sure where to go next.

Some background:
The fuel pump went out in the car last September and it was replaced. Shortly there after, the check engine light came on and we replaced the gas cap which seemed to fix the issue short term. The light came on again in October. The car passed the emissions test in November. The check engine light hasn't affected how the car has run at all, so I haven't addressed the issue since. I'm now looking to sell the vehicle and would like to fix the issue assuming it doesn't break the bank.

I took the Malibu to an AutoZone and had it scanned. I attached the results from the scan. The code that came up doesn't seem to be a very common code.

Code: P0240
Description: The PCM has determined that the input voltage for boost pressure sensor "B" is out of range for the current engine operation conditions.

Any help is much appreciated.
Attached Thumbnails P0240 Code - Need Help - Don't Know What Issue Is-p0240.jpg  
Old June 14th, 2012, 6:30 AM
Former Sponsor

Default P0240 Code - Need Help - Don't Know What Issue Is

P0240: The PCM has determined that the input voltage for boost pressure sensor "B" is out of range for the current engine operation conditions.
Is this correct? I think 05 Malibu do not have Turbocharger and BTW this code is stands for Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold. So please reset the code once, remove battery terminal and then again check whether code pops up or not. Go for chevy dealer.
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:42 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll give it a try and let you know what I find out.
Old June 14th, 2012, 10:45 AM
CF Beginner

Only other thing I can think of is that the code is actually referencing the amount of voltage going through the vehicle and that the alternator or voltage regulator might be bad. I have had to change the passenger side turn signal light a few times because the bulb goes out. When I replace it the connector is melted a little bit making me think that it could be getting too much voltage.