Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Repeated ABS problem. Any recourse?

Search this Thread

Old December 14th, 2018, 2:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repeated ABS problem. Any recourse?

My mother-in-law has a 2010 Malibu LTZ 2.4L. The car has 32,000 miles on it, and it is in great condition. She uses a local dealership for all her service and repair; the same dealership from which she purchased the car. Last November, she had to replace the EBCM & the ABS modulator (BPMV); sorry but I don’t have access to the work order and I do not remember the chassis codes that were reported for the repair (she lives 8 hours away). The ABS modulator had a 1-year warranty. However, in May 2018, GM changed the warranty on this specific component to a 2-year warranty. That 2-year warranty does not apply to her because her ABS modulator was installed six months before the warranty extension date. Yesterday, her ESC, TCS, and assorted ABS warning lights came on. She took it back to the dealership, and they told her that the ABS modulator needed to be replaced again for $1300. She called me upset, so I called the service advisor. The code they pulled with the Tech III scanner was C0110 (04): ABS motor pump open circuit. She has put less than 2000 miles on the car since she had the part replaced in November 2017. He said there was nothing he could do because the 1-year warranty has expired. He transferred me to the service director; he and I went round and round for 15 minutes. He tried to tell me that the ABS modulator went bad because she is not driving the car enough. He finally claimed he would contact GM and see if there was anything they could do. I’m expecting him to come back and say there is nothing GM or the dealership can (i.e., will) do. Any advice? At this point, I am pretty frustrated. There is obviously a problem with the Delco ABS modulators or they wouldn’t have extended the warranties on them to 2 years. But that extension does her no good.