Malibu Another long running GM name, the Malibu has overcome many changes to be one of the top mid size sedans heading into its eight generation.

Chevrolet Malibu
This area is for FWD models 1997 and newer
Platform: N-, Epsilon, Epsilon II.

Restoring an '05??

Search this Thread

Old June 2nd, 2021, 1:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Restoring an '05??

I have an '05 Malibu, not exactly running, but I can get it started occasionally. This was the second vehicle I ever purchased and I loved it. Ex-husband kindof ran it the ground though. (Dude couldn't change a serpentine belt; tried to muscle it on lol.) I was debating on fixing it, parting it out, just selling it as is for whatever I could get. My neighbor tells me it might be worth more than I think. She says someone might want to restore it.. I'm like, restore?? It's an '05! Is this a thing? Are people restoring 00's Malibu's now??

Last edited by GnarlyMarlee01; June 2nd, 2021 at 1:01 PM. Reason: Typo
Old June 2nd, 2021, 2:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

An 05 Malibu is not worth that much and depending on what it needs, you might have to put more into it then it is worth. If it is not in too bad of shape and you want to keep it as a driver then maybe you can put a few dollars into it.
Old June 2nd, 2021, 5:40 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

Not all folks restore a vehicle looking at strictly $$$.
Some folks have an attachment called sentimental value.
Might be a good idea to determine just how much and how strong that attachment might be.
Old June 22nd, 2021, 9:24 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hanky
Not all folks restore a vehicle looking at strictly $$$.
Some folks have an attachment called sentimental value.
Might be a good idea to determine just how much and how strong that attachment might be.
Hey, good idea! I think I'll post on the Chevy forum and ask if anyone out there would actually be interested in restoring an '05 Malibu! 😉😝
​​​
Old June 22nd, 2021, 9:27 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by oldchevy
An 05 Malibu is not worth that much and depending on what it needs, you might have to put more into it then it is worth. If it is not in too bad of shape and you want to keep it as a driver then maybe you can put a few dollars into it.
Yea I know, mine in particular isn't worth much after the ex neglected to maintain it. I'm not interested in keeping it. Just figured it was worth a shot to ask around and see if there's any merit to my neighbors claims that people are actually restoring '05s. I don't really know anywhere else to look for possible connections in that area besides a Chevy forum.
Old June 30th, 2021, 10:28 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by GnarlyMarlee01
Hey, good idea! I think I'll post on the Chevy forum and ask if anyone out there would actually be interested in restoring an '05 Malibu! 😉😝
​​​
well im sort of restoring one tryin to keep her runnin 2.2 ecotec ive done a valve job on thi engine twice now new cylinder head of course done the head gasket twice the timing twice somehow amongst all this ive managed to crack the block on the bottom where front cover is when i seen it i squeezed in a bunch of the right stuff 90 minute gasket maker by permatex and put the cover on next morning i have a small leak wtd now any suggestions would be considered very greatful thanks for your time------brandon