Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

1995 Monte Carlo "video of clunking noise"

Search this Thread

Old August 22nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Monte Carlo "video of clunking noise"

Im new here and could use some help..

I have a 95 monte carlo and for some time now my car has been making this clunking noise when i accelerate from under the hood..sounds like its comin from the bottom of the car.I say that cuz you can feel the clunk as you press on the gas pedal. Lets say i come to a complete stop and when i try to pick up speed the car will clunk..the harder i hit the gas pedal the more you hear it clunks..lol dats not funny doe.. so i have to ease on the gas pedal to try to avoid the clunking.. it does it alot when i am going up hills or anytime i wanna go fast.. lately its been happening while going 35-40 and when it clunks ill usually take my foot off the gas pedal for a quick second to get it to stop making the noise.

ive taken it to maybe 3 the shops and was told it was my axles so i had both replaced. I was also told it was a transmission mount. I also had that replaced and still same thing..

it happens majoirty of the time jus going straight while accelerating. i cant drive the speed limit like everyone else without this loud noise..so i jus ease the pedal and everyone goes around me..i can pick up acceleration but when i do the clunking gets louder.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XgdtTjvL1k
Old January 29th, 2013, 11:27 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The video doesn't work, but from your description it sounds like the CV half-shaft might need to be replaced. You said you already replaced the drive axles and the transmission mounts. Did you have them look at the motor mounts as well?