Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

2002 3.4L Monte LS 158K -Problem-

Search this Thread

Old July 20th, 2009, 8:18 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 2002 3.4L Monte LS 158K -Problem-

My stepdaughter just had a mechanic and trans shop replace speed sensors/wheel bearings in the front and EPC sensor in the trans to the tune of $1,100 for a problem she had diagnosed while at school in Arizona. This was all related to a problem with the traction control. Well the car still has a problem and I'm looking for some help. Before she went off to school from Michigan with it I replaced the intake gaskets for the old oil in the cooling system problem that happens to allot of these. Flush refill etc... Project went well as far as I know!! I also replaced a plugged catalytic converter at about 115K. I put in a maxflow CC that allows more pollutant past than the sensor likes so it continues to give a P0420 code as a result.

Now with all this said here is my issue. At take off power/acceleration seams ok, shifting ok, but up around 55mph + intermittently the tach will spike about 2K and power drops off for just an instant. May do it once, then multiple jumps in a row with loss of power. Does not give off any error code after clearing then taking out for test drive. Obviously I have my own OBD. I can't tell if it's fuel, ignition, or transmission related at this point and I persoanlly have not been driving through these woes nor prior to the other work that's been done. She's a college student, the car has 158K. I can do some work myself to help her out. We're trying to keep her on the road without destroying her bank account if possible.

I also noticed after she said it was making a grinding noise up front that the ABS is applying itself on dry pavement just before the car comes to a stop. And actually seams to activate itself at times at slow take off! Could this be a sensor problem? Computer problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated!! The car has performed well for a long time!!

Thanx,

Randy
rteddy86@yahoo.com

Last edited by rteddy86; July 20th, 2009 at 8:20 AM. Reason: type o