Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

95 Chevy Lumina Electrical Wiring / Radio After Repair Help

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2013, 10:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Chevy Lumina Electrical Wiring / Radio After Repair Help

Hello, first off I would like to say hello to everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I thought I would post this question and see if anyone had any info or tips for me.

I blew a head gasket in my car two weeks ago. I brought it to the shop, and just got it back yesterday.

When I got it back and started it, the first thing I noticed was that there is now no power going to the car radio. It is not a stock radio, but an AIWA head unit I personally installed. I know I could, and should have, went right in and said something about it, but honestly after not having a vehicle for two weeks, I was just happy to be able to drive it and didnt want to risk having to wait another day or two for them to have to fix this problem now. My first instinct was to check the fuse, which is fine. I also took the dash off to find that the fuse in the head unit itself is fine, and all the wires are still connected and intact.

Now hopefully this is where you fine people can come into play

My question is, are there any harnesses or connectors inside the engine bay that they would have disconnected to fix my head gasket that would affect the power to my radio? I have power to everything else in that general area, including the cigarette lighter in which I believe would be on the same wiring harness (?)

If there are any tips anyone could give me, and if a harness and you would know the general area it would be in? Basically any input would be appreciated.

Thank you all for taking the time to read and give your info!

Also, this is all in a 1995 Chevy Lumina 3.1L
Old January 4th, 2013, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is almost nothing they could have done to cause you radio not to work. At my shop if you had this complaint we would kindly check all the fuses under hood and in car (not just the radio) as a courtesy (even though we would doubt we caused the problem, but hey ya never know) because you did just spend a lot of money and we would want you to be a regular customer. We would double check all grounds were back on (radio ground not likely to be under hood) just to be sure. Then we would offer to diagnose your problem at a cost to you of course. They should be willing to take a basic look for free but I very seriously doubt they did anything to break it. Most likely a coincidence so do get mad at them.