Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

95 lumina over heating

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2011 | 4:02 PM
CF Beginner

Question 95 lumina over heating

i recently bought a 1995 lumina that overheated. i changed the thermostat and it drive for 3000 miles then overheted again. i changed thermostat again and it changed nothing . had water pump looked at and changed still over heating. like it is loosing coolant but no leeks on the ground. the temp will rise and fall pushing hot air out the vents when falling. i am at my wits end with this i don't know what to look at next or what the problem could even be ! does any one has any ideas ?
Old April 23rd, 2011 | 3:09 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by midwestjaybird
i recently bought a 1995 lumina that overheated. i changed the thermostat and it drive for 3000 miles then overheted again. i changed thermostat again and it changed nothing . had water pump looked at and changed still over heating. like it is loosing coolant but no leeks on the ground. the temp will rise and fall pushing hot air out the vents when falling. i am at my wits end with this i don't know what to look at next or what the problem could even be ! does any one has any ideas ?
Did you use the bleeder valve to get rid of any air pockets?
Old April 25th, 2011 | 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by bsr2002
Did you use the bleeder valve to get rid of any air pockets?
yeah i was hip to all that blead out air just had intake manifold gasket changed it still act funny and heat is still riseing and falling on temp gauge i really don't know hwere to go from here. thermostat, water pump i guess the next thing would be a new radiator ugh.
Old April 25th, 2011 | 6:19 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by midwestjaybird
yeah i was hip to all that blead out air just had intake manifold gasket changed it still act funny and heat is still riseing and falling on temp gauge i really don't know hwere to go from here. thermostat, water pump i guess the next thing would be a new radiator ugh.
You didn't mention changing the rad cap, maybe try that first before getting a radiator.
Old June 16th, 2011 | 11:15 PM
CF Beginner

I also have a 95 monte carlo had this same problem turned out to be a cracked head, I replaced the engine good luck.