Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

97 Lumina 3.1 No Spark

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2018, 5:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 97 Lumina 3.1 No Spark

Hello. Having some problems with my 97 Lumina with the 3.1 v6. Theres no spark. So far i have replaced the crankshaft position sensor and ignition control module with no luck. There is 12v getting to the icm. I also repaired the ckp sensor harness and checked to make sure it has no resistance. Coil packs are tested and good and have done a compression test and got 150psi on all cylinders. Im running out of ideas. Thinking maybe its the ECU?
Old February 5th, 2018, 9:09 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Try the pcm first. I've replaced my ecm twice since I've owned. Is there any sel light/code? I had issue with my 96 just dieing, would show PO102 maf off performance, that was due to the ecm shutting off the engine. Would not restart until i erased the code. It might run two weeks, or two hours. Look at ebay for an ecm if need be. I bought the last one, no core with (sent the guy the vin) programmed for $70
Old February 8th, 2018, 2:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just to confirm pcm=ecm right? Not 2 separate ones? Do you remember where you got the one for $70? Did it need additional programming once on the vehicle? Also there's no check engine lights.