Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Fuel pump won't work

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2013, 6:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump won't work

Hey guys. New to the forum. Here's the situation. I was looking for a car for my girlfriend. My neighbor was selling his old 95 lumina. My mom had the same car when I was a kid. Thing ran great, can fit the kids in it. Rode like a dream. Told him I'd take it. His wife went to get it off the side of the road and bring it up to the house for me, but it wouldn't start. She cranked it over till the battery died. My friend got home and went to look at it and realized someone siphoned all the gas outta the tank. Figured she burnt out the fuel pump cranking on it. My friend said if I don't want it anymore, he's just gonna junk it. But if I can get it running, just give him what the junkyard was gonna give him for the car, and I can have it. Well, I replaced the fuel pump last night, and it still won't start. You can't even hear it priming up when you turn the key on. Nothing. I'm hoping maybe the relay went bad. But I'm not to familiar with these cars, so any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Old January 8th, 2013, 10:53 AM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Check the fuse for the fuel pump.
Old January 8th, 2013, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

My friend said he checked it and it was fine, but I never physically looked at it myself. Ill do that. This is a dumb question, but where is it? I didn't see it in the listings in the manual for the fuse box by the passenger door. But I may have just overlooked it.
Old January 8th, 2013, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Checked all the fuses, they're all fine. Put a new relay in and still nothing. Pumps still not even priming when you turn the key. I saw somewhere online which terminals to jump at the relay to send power to the pump, 30 and 87 it said, and nothing happened. So now I'm assuming that theres no power getting to the pump. Am I correct in that assumption?
Old January 8th, 2013, 8:53 PM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

The only way to be sure if you are getting power at the pump is to check the wires at the pump.
Old January 9th, 2013, 5:16 AM
CF Beginner

Yea. I'll have to get the test light out, and some help when I get home. I'll have someone crank it over, and I'll check the wires for power.
Old January 21st, 2013, 6:10 AM
CF Active Member

I have a 96 Lumina with 3.1L engine . ( Which engine do you have ? ) I replaced the pump in it . That fixed that problem . ( My new pump does not make much sound . )

The 96 has fuses on the right side , when you open the front passenger door , on the end of the dash . It also has fuses and relays in the engine compartment . One on the right and one on the left .

If you have no luck , , try a tiny bit of gas in the throttle body to prime it . If it tries to start , then you probably have spark .

My 96 has a fuel filter not too far from where the lines leave the tank and start toward the front / engine . Check if it has fuel there & if the filter is stopped up ?

If you still are having problems , wmail me , I think my Haynes manual also covers 95 .

God bless ,
Wyr