Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Hi,new here need some help on 98 monte 3.1

Search this Thread

Old June 27th, 2011, 8:26 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Hi,new here need some help on 98 monte 3.1

a couple of days ago i was driving the car and it started to miss, wasn't really worried much because i though it was just spark plugs.nope couple days later i tried taking her out again and it just started to run rough it was like it had a really bad sticking caliper and was like cutting out like it wasn't getting any fuel, but i know its getting plenty of fuel,when i barley got it home, i started it up and at idle its fine but when i revved it up,it started to do the cutting thing out again and it would not go pass 1500 rpm the needle kept falling down either pass or a little above 1000 rpm and at the tail pipe its puffing. I can also hear a slight knock/tick i know it isn't lifters cause i just replaced them along with new head gaskets. i can hear the knock/tick at the lower intake and on down to the heads and block it seems to be strongest at the lower intake, i'm hoping that its just a simple quick fix and i don't have to tear the thing apart again
(not really sure how much oil pressure its getting cause there's no oil gauge) i really appreciate any help as this is my daily driver and has taken me down to Florida many many times although she does have 246,000 miles on the original engine. and again thanks for any help

FOUND PROBLEM!

Last edited by 98 monte; June 27th, 2011 at 1:11 PM. Reason: found problem