Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

I need major help!!! please

Search this Thread

Old January 26th, 2014, 11:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need major help!!! please

I have a 2001 Monte Carlo ss 3800 engine
Ok...This is what happened

I was driving to work it was raining real hard. Ok. Driving fine until this major big puddle snuck up on me. The water splashed all over the car to a point I couldn't see AT ALL.. After leaving the puddle After thing seemed fine until I was getting off the highway the car shut off. I started it back up and it started so I proceed to work as soon I pulled up a at work I shut off and I noticed it was over heating. I got it to start and finally parked the car and went to work..After work the car started and I proceeded home didn't even make half way home and the car just stop working completely so I had to get it towed!

Does anybody know what the problem could be so I know what to tell the mechanic.

Any help would be highly appreciated!!
Old January 27th, 2014, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by spade204
I have a 2001 Monte Carlo ss 3800 engine
Ok...This is what happened

I was driving to work it was raining real hard. Ok. Driving fine until this major big puddle snuck up on me. The water splashed all over the car to a point I couldn't see AT ALL.. After leaving the puddle After thing seemed fine until I was getting off the highway the car shut off. I started it back up and it started so I proceed to work as soon I pulled up a at work I shut off and I noticed it was over heating. I got it to start and finally parked the car and went to work..After work the car started and I proceeded home didn't even make half way home and the car just stop working completely so I had to get it towed!

Does anybody know what the problem could be so I know what to tell the mechanic.

Any help would be highly appreciated!!
How did you notice it was overheating?

Steam coming out of the hood or the coolant gauge on the dash? Was it in the red?
Old January 27th, 2014, 4:45 PM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could be you blew a fuse for the radiator fan. A good mechanic should be able to tell what's up though.
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Could be you blew a fuse for the radiator fan. A good mechanic should be able to tell what's up though.
That will stop it from starting??
Old January 28th, 2014, 12:09 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy
How did you notice it was overheating?

Steam coming out of the hood or the coolant gauge on the dash? Was it in the red?

Steam from the hood
Old January 28th, 2014, 3:55 PM
Site Ambassador

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That will stop it from starting??
Yes, if the lack of a fan caused the engine to overheat so far to the point of locking up. But that depends on what you mean by "it stopped working completely". Did the engine kill, but it still turns over with the key and just doesn't start? Did it kill but the engine won't turn over at all? Was the temp gauge reading normal, or was it pegged hot? Steam from under the hood would have been from soaking the hot radiator with cool water, not a big deal. If you didn't really overheat the engine, then you likely have an electrical short, or now have corrosion preventing the engine from starting.
Old January 28th, 2014, 7:43 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Camaro 69
Yes, if the lack of a fan caused the engine to overheat so far to the point of locking up. But that depends on what you mean by "it stopped working completely". Did the engine kill, but it still turns over with the key and just doesn't start? Did it kill but the engine won't turn over at all? Was the temp gauge reading normal, or was it pegged hot? Steam from under the hood would have been from soaking the hot radiator with cool water, not a big deal. If you didn't really overheat the engine, then you likely have an electrical short, or now have corrosion preventing the engine from starting.
Yes the car will not turn over at all wen it happen the gauge was on reading HOT!!!
And soo there is 2 possible things wrong, corrosion and or an electrical short?
Old January 28th, 2014, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes the car will not turn over at all wen it happen the gauge was on reading HOT!!!
And soo there is 2 possible things wrong, corrosion and or an electrical short?
So the car starts now?

Did you suck water into the engine?

What is the current condition and driving status of the vehicle?
Old January 29th, 2014, 1:26 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by sledge.impy

So the car starts now?

Did you suck water into the engine?

What is the current condition and driving status of the vehicle?
Sorry..
No the car doest start
Current status:taken up space in my drive way (no life in car)
I have no idea if I sucked water into the engine or not...but i would believe soo..don't quote me on dat.
Old February 13th, 2014, 10:12 PM
CF Beginner

Hope you didn't Hydro lock it... Does the motor even attempt to crank when you turn the ignition? I would start pulling and checking your fuses under the hood. If you hit that much water you may have shorted something. That would be best case scenario! Keep a eye on your oil and make sure no coolant is in it. Don't know how long the car was hot like that but you can crack your heads or cause your intake gaskets to fry up... Best of luck man and keep us updated on any info...

Quick Reply: I need major help!!! please