Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Intermitent Starter problem

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2013, 8:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intermitent Starter problem

Could use some help and advice.d
I have a 95 Lumina 3.1 liter. About once a week, it will not start. Basically nothing happens, no lights dim, and no noise when I turn the key to start. Not even a click that I can hear. If I pop the hood and tap on the starter solenoid with a metal rod, the car will usually start just fine. I replaced the starter solenoid, but it still has the same intermittent problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old October 3rd, 2013, 3:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 353 Likes on 334 Posts

With the key switch in the start position check to see if you are getting 12 volts to the starter solenoid. The small wire. If you are then the problem is in the solenoid or starter. If you are not then the problem is in the wiring to the solenoid or the key switch itself.
Old October 10th, 2013, 9:41 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Physically follow / trace the large power + cable , backwards , from the starter , all the way back to the battery . Look for loose connections , damaged parts / cables .

If you find nothing , do the same for the small wire going to the solinoid .

When it refuses to start , will your head lights burn OK ?

I can not look under the hood , right now , of our 96 3.1L . Does the large starter power cable connect to one of the " power centers " ? I have read of them being burned up on their back side , where it is not readily visable .

Next time it will not start , try running a small jumper wire to the small starter solinoid , to the + battery terminal & see if that brings it on ?

God bless
Wyr