Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Need some advice

Search this Thread

Old February 21st, 2010, 1:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice

Just picked up a 1981 Monte Carlo Landau (267 cid) with what we think is a locked up motor. Car is near mint condition, had no other problems (from what I was told) up until the moment it cut on the highway. Cant turn it at the crank bolt, but shaft turns when you push the car, so atleast i know what isn't broken.

we're gunna take it out regardless to dertermine whats wrong with it (Unless someone knows something i should do first/instead) but here is my question. if I do have a locked motor, should I rebuild or put in a 305 or 350? Its my wifes car, so I dont need power really ... Ive read that the 276 isnt bad to have if you put a new cam and some other parts on it, but most say its not worth the money to rebuild. It does have some kind of performance dist. on it, and an elderbock intake that isnt stock. *shrug*

I have also read that a 305 from the same year should pretty much just bolt in, and all the other parts should be universal (that would be nice) Im looking for the cheapest road (labor is free) so what does everyone thing?
Old February 21st, 2010, 3:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have the money, a 350 is not a bad route. Their easy to find and cheap to keep running. I don't know much bout a 276, so I don't know if it's worth rebuilding or not.
Old March 21st, 2010, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey,

things are getting rolling now and im looking for some more advice.... I picked up a chevy 305 - came out of a 86-87 - No. 14094766 - and im looking to rebuild it ... Ive found a rebuild kit - with pistons - for about a 180 bucks (a steal right?) but it says its for a 1976-85 chevy 305 .... will this rebuild kit work on my 305?

the 86-87, from what ive looked up, was the first year of fuel injections, but im switching the manifold and its going to be on a carb -so ..... could I use this rebuild kit, or is something going to be different and not work?

I feel like it would work because im going old school with the manifold and carb, which would pretty much make it an old style 305..

lemme know if anyone knows for sure

brandon