Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Now my baby wont start! ugh

Search this Thread

Old April 19th, 2010, 6:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Now my baby wont start! ugh

Ok so I dediced to install my amp and sup and now my car wont start.. after I attached the amp the next morning i tried to start it... it went click click click so i thought it was the battery I did it again and it started up fine after holding it and pressing the gas a bit... I let it run for a bit turned the car off and when i tried to turn it back on nothing not even turning over.. but my car is lit up i still got battery... any ideas?

1998 3.8 Chev Lumina.
Old April 19th, 2010, 6:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

it is possible that battery is shot. you need voltage for the lights and stuff, but the starter requires high amperage to crank. if the battery has low amperage, then no, car won't crank. have battery tested, but check all connections. tight and clean, not dirty or loose.
Old April 19th, 2010, 6:49 AM
CF Junior Member

But if theres not enough power it should should click when i turn the key should it not? later im going to take off the amp power cord and see if that makes a difference
Old April 19th, 2010, 6:58 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

if the battery doesn't have enough amperage in it, then you may not get even a click. i would start tho by checking cables at battery, at the starter, and grounds on motor and frame.
Old April 19th, 2010, 7:36 AM
CF Junior Member

Where would I find the starter(someone told me to hit the starter gently with a rubber hammer in case it is stuck)? and Im pretty sure the ground is good, but I added a ground for my amp would that effect it? i put the amp cord between the battery connector and tightened it up as much as possible and the interior lights seem to be at full power so I dont think that the charger is a problem.
Old April 19th, 2010, 7:46 AM
CF Junior Member

I am going to take some pictures and post them to show you. brb!
Old April 19th, 2010, 7:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Alright so I am pretty sure its my starter... I got a boost and still no clicks or nothing, someone went under my car and connected two things near the starter and the fly wheel i think he said started to move so he said the started isnt ****ed but its not engaging so it could be jammed or maybe ****ed... any input? i already tried hitting the starter lol
Old April 19th, 2010, 8:16 PM
Impala Super Moderator

Did you hook your amp up correctly. I bet its your battery
Old April 19th, 2010, 8:51 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by HotSauce6226
Did you hook your amp up correctly. I bet its your battery
x2

Could be a lose or poor connection at the battery.
Old April 20th, 2010, 6:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Default m

No everything is tight and I removed the amp battery connection. But again when I touch the two bolts together near the starter under my car I hear something turning but the car doesn't turn over or start. My friend says its something in the starter that I can replace but recommends just to buy a whole new starter.

Quick Reply: Now my baby wont start! ugh