Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

starting issues

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2011, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default starting issues

I have a 1996 Lumina and it is pissing me off. I have replaced the coil pack, ignition control module and cam sensor and it still refuses to even attempt to fire up. It is getting fuel and everything but just wont start. What do I do now. It is NOT!!!!!throwing any codes on a scanner.
Old August 23rd, 2011, 11:46 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redneck53536
I have a 1996 Lumina and it is pissing me off. I have replaced the coil pack, ignition control module and cam sensor and it still refuses to even attempt to fire up. It is getting fuel and everything but just wont start. What do I do now. It is NOT!!!!!throwing any codes on a scanner.
redneck53536,

Do you have enough juice to power the lights, radio and horn? If not then I would be inclined to suggest that perhaps the alternator or your battery is dead. Another possibility is that your battery terminals need to be cleaned. Once a year (or as necessary), the battery terminals and the cable clamps should be cleaned. Loosen the clamps and remove the cables, negative cable first. On batteries with posts on top, the use of a puller specially made for this purpose is recommended. These are inexpensive and available in most auto parts stores. Side terminal battery cables are secured with a small bolt.

Clean the cable clamps and the battery terminal with a wire brush, until all corrosion, grease, etc., is removed and the metal is shiny. It is especially important to clean the inside of the clamp (an old knife is useful here) thoroughly, since a small deposit of foreign material or oxidation there will prevent a sound electrical connection and inhibit either starting or charging. Special tools are available for cleaning these parts, one type for conventional top post batteries and another type for side terminal batteries.

Before installing the cables, loosen the battery hold-down clamp or strap, remove the battery and check the battery tray. Clear it of any debris, and check it for soundness (the battery tray can be cleaned with a baking soda and water solution). Rust should be wire brushed away, and the metal given a couple coats of anti-rust paint. Install the battery and tighten the hold-down clamp or strap securely. Do not overtighten, as this can crack the battery case.

After the clamps and terminals are clean, reinstall the cables, negative cable last; DO NOT hammer the clamps onto post batteries. Tighten the clamps securely, but do not distort them. Give the clamps and terminals a thin external coating of grease after installation, to retard corrosion.
Check the cables at the same time that the terminals are cleaned. If the cable insulation is cracked or broken, or if the ends are frayed, the cable should be replaced with a new cable of the same length and gauge.

Besides the battery, I would also consider replacing the starter itself. Although the starter assembly is expensive, (running $300 at dealerships or $197 at OEM GM parts sites like gmpartsgiant.com) the installation procedure isn't too difficult and can be performed at home in a matter of a few hours
Old August 23rd, 2011, 12:01 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

I am not clear, I assume it is cranking? Is it a 3.1L? There are two crank position sensors on that car, 7x, and 24x. If the 7x is bad, it WILL NOT start, and no codes. I just went through that. It sets behind the passengers wheel, not difficult or exspensive. The 24x is behind the harmonic balancer, take this advice, replace the 7x sensor, if it is cranking, and getting fuel pressure to the rail.
Old August 25th, 2011, 3:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Did you get it running?