Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

starting problem

Search this Thread

Old December 8th, 2012 | 12:57 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy starting problem

95 chevy lumina LS I have a new battery, starter and new electronic ignition switch. turn key dash lights up but will crank over. i crossed jumped the starter and bendix kicks in but will now turn over.
Old December 8th, 2012 | 1:15 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by wantataka
95 chevy lumina LS I have a new battery, starter and new electronic ignition switch. turn key dash lights up but will crank over. i crossed jumped the starter and bendix kicks in but will now turn over.
I take it there is supposed to be a "not" in that sentance? I think is there supposed to be a not instead of now? I'd suggest unless the engine is locked up, return the starter. I'd remove it, and with jumper cables on the ground test it. Just because a part is new dosen't mean it is good. If it is the starter, have it tested before installation.
Old December 8th, 2012 | 1:33 PM
CF Beginner

Unhappy

I had the starter tested before I bought it checked out Ok. My son took the battery out of his car and replaced it with mine. He also turn the engine crank pulley and engine turns. so the engine is not lockedup
Old December 8th, 2012 | 1:46 PM
CF Monarch

Well, if you had a clamp on amp meter that would prove or disprove a faulty starter. Ask your son, or anyone to try and jumpstart it, I know new battery but that will allow more current to the starter. If that dosen't do it, and it is hooked up correctley which I think it is, it's a starter. Bench testing a starter isn't testing it under "load" i.e. turning the engine
Old December 8th, 2012 | 1:55 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Well, if you had a clamp on amp meter that would prove or disprove a faulty starter. Ask your son, or anyone to try and jumpstart it, I know new battery but that will allow more current to the starter. If that dosen't do it, and it is hooked up correctley which I think it is, it's a starter. Bench testing a starter isn't testing it under "load" i.e. turning the engine
Ok will try it thanks. I just hope it isn't the electroinic egnition switch agian. I had problems with this summer and had it replaced. It was a royle pain to get out and had to put it into the shop at the cost of my eye tooth and my kid sister if you know what I meen.
Old March 11th, 2013 | 5:34 PM
New User
Awaiting E-mail Confirmation

I turn the key lights in the dash come on but No starter after a few mins. its fine it has done this a few times...
Old March 12th, 2013 | 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Are you getting a sharp clunk when you turn the key to start? A faint click? No sound at all? I'm trying to determine if it is a starter issue or perhaps you have a problem with wiring.
Old May 11th, 2013 | 1:50 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 1995 Chevy lumina am having starting issues,let me first give a brief story: me and a friend went to a chicken place,went in ordered chicken,picked up chicken,went back to car,tried to start it........"click",had car towed back to my house,been working on beast since 4-8-2013, it is now 5-11-2013 and car still will not run,now it cranks and smoke is coming from somewhere in engine compartment,am very confused do i need oil or something? ....and what would cause it to stop in the first place???

ONE CONFUSED CAR OWNER