Monte Carlo & Lumina Since the 1970s, the Monte Carlo has been an icon of American stock car racing. A 4-door version, the Lumina, was produced in the late 90's.
Platform: A-, G-, & W-body

Wierd loose ball-shaped tank thing on my 95 Lumina

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2010, 2:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wierd loose ball-shaped tank thing on my 95 Lumina

Last night when i was coming home i skidded into this wooden entryway thing at my apt complex. Everything seemed fine when i got out and looked but just a bit later i noticed a grinding sound when i was driving. So I had a look under the bumper this time and noticed this big broken piece of molded plastic hanging down in front of my left front tire (the corner that grazed the obstacle) with this odd ball-shaped, hollow plastic object in the middle. There's a line running from it (the only thing connecting the plastic to the car at this point) and I have no idea what it is. The plastic sphere itself is unbroken, but there's no liquid or anything inside. I can't imagine any important fluid would be kept in a plastic tank right behind the front bumper, but I don't know much about cars. I need to try to figure out what to do about this kind of quickly, I have to work m-f 8-5 with a 1/2 hour freeway commute (I can't take a day off this week or next at all due to training, this thing came at a terrible time). Probably just going to take a wire hanger and some duct tape and suspend it up there as best I can, but if anyone can tell me what it is/what to do I'd appreciate it.
Old February 28th, 2010, 3:32 PM
CF Active Member

I don't know the schematics to your car, but it kinda sounds like that is your windshield washer fluid reservoir. Have you checked all your fluids to make sure you're not low on any of them? Try to pour some water into the windshield washer fluid reservoir and see if it starts leaking from the same place. Let us know if this is it.
Old February 28th, 2010, 4:50 PM
CF Beginner

It's definitely not the washer fluid reservoir. That's transparent, irregularly shaped and easily accessible from the hood. This thing is opaque black plastic, ball-shaped, and only accessible at all now because of the broken plastic. To get at it from the top i would actually have to remove the washer fluid tank (and the battery and one or two other things). I traced the line back and it goes to the engine, and midway through Y's off into parts unknown (probably somewhere else on the engine block). I'm thinking it's some sort of pressure release mechanism, as it seems that when it's in place the line comes from the top of the ball thingy (and there's no other entrance/exit on it). I've fastened it up there pretty good with some baling wire. Since the only thing that broke was the plastic holding it in place I should be good for a while, and I'll have them look at it when I go in for a tune-up in about a month or so (I'm due). Mostly i just want to make sure I'm not overlooking anything and that this isn't some super-important thing I don't understand.
Old February 28th, 2010, 5:38 PM
CF Active Member

Well I guess you should be good. Maybe posting a picture would help us find out exactly what it is.
Old February 28th, 2010, 11:03 PM
CF Active Member

my guess ic a vac canaster
Old March 9th, 2010, 7:58 PM
CF Beginner

Thats your vacuum canister. It "stores" vacuum so at WOT, when your engine doesnt produce as much vacuum, your blend doors and and other vacuum controlled accessories stay where you have them set.