New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

02 Silverado rear window latch.

Search this Thread

Old March 25th, 2021, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Silverado rear window latch.

Hello, I recently purchased a 2002 silverado extended cab pickup. The rear caming window latch is unattached. The previous owner had tried everything under the sun to re fasten it with no luck. I do not have much faith in hardware store epoxys and super glues. It needs to be a strong non brittle bond to draw it in tight against the window seal i would think. Upon much research I have discovered few adhesives and epoxys are real effective on plastic materials . The glass portion has a black film where the latch would be mounted. I tried an auto glass company and the gm dealership and they say to replace the window. I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around that, when everything is still fine and it had to get glued once before. Thanks for any input you can provide. Also on a side note I might add that a more gel like product would be better as I would need to glue it vertically as the window is already installed. Would prefer to not have to remove the window just ro avoid liquidy dripage. Thanks again.

This is from the other side that is still attatched.

Last edited by JDOCT1983; March 25th, 2021 at 6:32 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something.
Old March 25th, 2021, 7:08 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by JDOCT1983
Hello, I recently purchased a 2002 silverado extended cab pickup. The rear caming window latch is unattached. The previous owner had tried everything under the sun to re fasten it with no luck. I do not have much faith in hardware store epoxys and super glues. It needs to be a strong non brittle bond to draw it in tight against the window seal i would think. Upon much research I have discovered few adhesives and epoxys are real effective on plastic materials . The glass portion has a black film where the latch would be mounted. I tried an auto glass company and the gm dealership and they say to replace the window. I am just having a hard time wrapping my head around that, when everything is still fine and it had to get glued once before. Thanks for any input you can provide. Also on a side note I might add that a more gel like product would be better as I would need to glue it vertically as the window is already installed. Would prefer to not have to remove the window just ro avoid liquidy dripage. Thanks again.

This is from the other side that is still attatched.
Gorilla Glue it.Even if it has moisture it will still set up.Do NOT use the clear stuff, get the original amber G-G.
Old March 26th, 2021, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 169 Posts

JDOCT1983: Welcome to the forum. If Gorilla Glue does not work, you could try the adhesive kit that is used to reattach rear view mirror to your windshield. I've used that several times and found it to work quite well. You will also get more views if you post the question in the Silverado section of the Forum.
The following users liked this post:
JDOCT1983 (March 27th, 2021)