New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

1951 Styleline Deluxe 216 idles then dies

Search this Thread

Old August 27th, 2012, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1951 Styleline Deluxe 216 idles then dies

Hello, I have a 51 Styleline deluxe with a 216. I start it up, it'll idle for a minute or two then die. Idle sounds fine. Revs fine. But dies... I have to start it with starting fluid, which leads me to believe it's something in the fuel line, maybe fuel filter? fuel pump? carburetor issue? help! I'm lost.
Old August 27th, 2012, 9:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sounds like you're on the right track. another possibility is coil, or points/condenser.
Old August 27th, 2012, 9:13 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

If it is original, my take is a single barrle Carter carb. This is going to be fuel issue. When it dies after running at idle, pull the top of the carb, probably won't have any gas in it. Make sure the float is working, then remove the line to the carb from the pump. With a jar or something to catch fuel, crank it over, you should have fuel instantly. If the pump is working, look at either the float level (which I doubt), then to filter. When you say 1-2 minutes, in diagnosing this, time is important, 1 minute 2 minute, 20 seconds ect. That needs to be more specific.
Old August 28th, 2012, 9:01 AM
CF Beginner

It's more like 1 minute. Although after every attempt, the time gets shorter, down to even just a couple of seconds. I've pulled the air cleaner and I cannot see any fuel spraying when I pump the gas, but I do see fuel when I open the throttle all the way open in the manifold.

On a side note, this is a new project for me and this question to me even sounds a little dumb to me, but there are two fuel filters in the line, is this necessary?
Old August 28th, 2012, 9:26 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by 51StylelineDeluxe
It's more like 1 minute. Although after every attempt, the time gets shorter, down to even just a couple of seconds. I've pulled the air cleaner and I cannot see any fuel spraying when I pump the gas, but I do see fuel when I open the throttle all the way open in the manifold.

On a side note, this is a new project for me and this question to me even sounds a little dumb to me, but there are two fuel filters in the line, is this necessary?
No, but if the filters are clean, there is nothing wrong with being redundent. At this point, I'd say replace them.
Old August 28th, 2012, 4:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Problem is either spark or gas.

If it runs revs, then its not spark.
So it has to be gas.
The fuel pump can really lead you around like it did me in the past.
I would change it first, then go from there.
Had a part time fuel pump once, but tried everything else first.
Only changed it after much frustration.
It was like putting a new engine in it.
I could really light up those rear tires then.
For test proposes only, of course.
Lee
Old August 28th, 2012, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Thank you for your responses. I've changed the fuel filters and given the carb a good hose down, now the car dies almost immediately after turnover. also dies if I pump the gas a bit. I think I just got myself a bit further away from hitting the road with this beauty.

On the plus side, I put a clear fuel filter in and I'm definitely getting fuel through the line, and I don't think I was before and if I was, it would have been filthy.

What would cause the car to stop when given gas? Flooded? Or did I mess something up in the carb?

Thanks again for all the help...
Old August 28th, 2012, 6:21 PM
CF Beginner

Oh, and there was fuel in the carb, but didn't look much like fuel.... More like dirt and rust soup.
Old August 28th, 2012, 7:42 PM
CF Monarch

Clean the gas lines.
Old August 30th, 2012, 12:27 AM
CF Beginner

Ok, lines clean... Thinking gas tank is the big issue. Any leads on a new one? Cleaning the old one seems to be more trouble then it's worth...

Quick Reply: 1951 Styleline Deluxe 216 idles then dies