New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

2013 Suburban LT Crack in Dash

Search this Thread

Old March 28th, 2017, 3:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Suburban LT Crack in Dash

Purchased 2012 Suburban LT in July, 2015 (pre-owned) with about 36,000 mile on it (now have about 50,000 miles). Took a 3200-mile trip in August, 2016. Upon return, noticed a large crack in dash under front windshield. It appeared there like magic. I've noticed a few other posts/threads describing similar cracks. Any suggesting on how to fix so that crack is not visible or where to find replacement?
Old September 14th, 2019, 1:41 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2013 Silverado LT with 90K and my dash has just cracked in 3 places around the air bag opening. It was fine two weeks ago (August 2019) when I last cleaned the windshield. The part cost of $575.00 and labor of $750.00 at my local GM dealer puts the total repair at $1,325.00. That's 5% of the used vehicle price I paid for the truck 1 year ago. At that cost and the thousands of the parts that have been cracking prior to 2010 a person would have thought an engineering patch over the weak areas would have been made. If the corner of the cracked dash gets caught under the air bag lid when it goes off there will be plastic shrapnel flying all over the passenger compartment. Apparently the bean counters know this and have decided the risk is more cost effective that the repair.
The following users liked this post:
justin storey (December 18th, 2019)
Old December 18th, 2019, 7:31 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same here

Originally Posted by Quicksilver3rd
I have a 2013 Silverado LT with 90K and my dash has just cracked in 3 places around the air bag opening. It was fine two weeks ago (August 2019) when I last cleaned the windshield. The part cost of $575.00 and labor of $750.00 at my local GM dealer puts the total repair at $1,325.00. That's 5% of the used vehicle price I paid for the truck 1 year ago. At that cost and the thousands of the parts that have been cracking prior to 2010 a person would have thought an engineering patch over the weak areas would have been made. If the corner of the cracked dash gets caught under the air bag lid when it goes off there will be plastic shrapnel flying all over the passenger compartment. Apparently the bean counters know this and have decided the risk is more cost effective that the repair.
same here I have a 2013 Silverado extended cab z71 and mine did the same thing I cant afford to fix it if it cost that much. I guess they can live with a law suit and possibly killing someone.