New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

4 cyl Silverado 1500

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2021, 12:28 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4 cyl Silverado 1500

I purchased a brand new 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Rally Edition Turbo 2.7 with a 4 cylinder at the end of March and have had two major oil leaks. It has been in the repair shop 49 days the first time (May-July) and almost 60 days this time around and now they want to replace the entire engine because they cannot repair the leak. The truck has been in the shop over 100 days and only has 8,000 miles on it, this has been a huge disappointment! We've always been Chevrolet fans, however after dealing with GM, that may change. Does anyone else have this truck and have you had any issues?
Old January 11th, 2021, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the forum. You need to post your information over in the Silverado section of the Forum to get more views.
Old January 11th, 2021, 4:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by gregener

I purchased a brand new 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Rally Edition Turbo 2.7 with a 4 cylinder at the end of March and have had two major oil leaks. It has been in the repair shop 49 days the first time (May-July) and almost 60 days this time around and now they want to replace the entire engine because they cannot repair the leak. The truck has been in the shop over 100 days and only has 8,000 miles on it, this has been a huge disappointment! We've always been Chevrolet fans, however after dealing with GM, that may change. Does anyone else have this truck and have you had any issues?
Putting a 4-cylinder motor in a full-sized pickup was/is a mistake. Adding a turbocharger is the second mistake. Expecting it to not have issues is the third mistake. Sell it off while you still can is my advice. But do as you see fit.
Old January 11th, 2021, 5:24 PM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Lemon Law!! Change it for a V8 truck.
Old January 11th, 2021, 9:20 PM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by oldchevy
Lemon Law!! Change it for a V8 truck.
Never thought I see a 4 banger in a full-sized pickup truck. I'd be toast in a month with most owners who use it as a real pickup-truck.
Old January 12th, 2021, 7:21 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
Putting a 4-cylinder motor in a full-sized pickup was/is a mistake. Adding a turbocharger is the second mistake. Expecting it to not have issues is the third mistake. Sell it off while you still can is my advice. But do as you see fit.
Thank you. This has never made sense to me. Most of these manufactures aren't even adding catch cans to these vehicles. The larger ring gaps allow for more blowby(usually acceptable amount) but all the oil from the pcv system builds in the intake boot.
Old January 14th, 2021, 11:01 AM
CF Monarch

Originally Posted by Craig0320
Thank you. This has never made sense to me. Most of these manufactures aren't even adding catch cans to these vehicles. The larger ring gaps allow for more blowby(usually acceptable amount) but all the oil from the pcv system builds in the intake boot.
Wait until that turbo leaks. That's going to damage things and cost some serious coin. But that is what the GM engineers do to pump more HP out of a motor that would never make it in a pickup (any pickup) without the turbo-boost. I could see it in a Colorado MAYBE, but not a full size pickup. The non-turbo 4.3L was pretty good for a full-sized pickup, had lots of torque, less HP then a 5.7 or 5.3L but I wouldn't tow much with one.

Millions of catch cans cost more money, but you can install one yourself. Should be easy with all that motor-well space.