New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

61 impala overheating issues

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2016, 9:44 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 61 impala overheating issues

Hello everyone.im new to the site and have a question for u pros. I have a 61 impala ht with a stock 283 4 bl edelbrock carb. Had the car for a few months now and all of a sudden its overheating. Has a 7 blade flexalite fan no clutch, a 160 stat with 2 holes in the flange. On the freeway it runs around 215ish but in traffic it is at 230! It had some wispy smoke coming out of the filler tube and upon insp i found out it had no pcv so i ran one from the dt to the back of the carb and installed a 14 in. auxilary fan in front of the rad.it takes longer to over heat but eventually gets up to 230 in park. No water in oil and still runs like a hog. Any ideas why its overheating?????Im at a loss here on wut to do.
Old July 17th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

if its overheating in park the issue is air flow through the rad or coolant flow through the rad. are any fan shrouds missing? Anything blocking air flow through the rad....clogged fins?

with the cap off and the stat open...is there good flow past the rad cap opening?