New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Adaptive Cruise Control

Search this Thread

Old January 31st, 2016, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adaptive Cruise Control

Purchased 2015 Impala LZ sedan. Love it. Adaptive Cruise control-HUGE SAFETY ISSUE. Driving down the road at 45, 55, or even 70 mph with nothing in front or on the sides of the road for 200 yards or even 400 yards and the 3 lines of red lights flash on the windshield, warning beeps going off loudly, and the car brakes hard enough to lock up the seat belts (dropping speed from 70 to 48 mph) nice for impending crash but there is NOTHING in front of me or alongside. The car behind me has just had a major heart attack trying to stop too. I recover and the car goes flying by, passing me, flipping me off and cursing me. This happens not once but repeatedly- to the point I now drive with my foot hovering over the accelerator to keep the car in forward motion. Some times it happens 3 times in one mile or 3 times in 10 miles. Rain, shine, grey days, sunny days whatever.
The dealer tells me there is nothing wrong with my car.
Okay tell that to the people in the major traffic pile up behind me or when I get rear ended or worse-someone gets killed.
Old February 1st, 2016, 7:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

maybe the radar camera needs alignment. test drive with a technician or shop foreman and demonstrate what is happening.
Old February 3rd, 2016, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

tech2 thanks. I have and it seems that I needed to be using my cruise control for several miles. I live about 1.5 hours away from the interstate (notice I said THE interstate). I live on the coast of Oregon and we have one major north/south interstate. It won't do it on the coast roads but then you can't run far (1-5 miles) with cruise here. It is very noticeable on the inter state and I have taken a tech with me around the coast and it acted up once in that: there was a car in the turn lane and the impala slowed down about 10 miles/hr but then picked right back up. My husband feels the cruise module needs to be "warmed up" before it becomes faulty. I don't know but hopefully GM will talk with me.
It really is a safety issue and I hate for someone to be involved in a motor vehicle crash because my car decided to brake in the middle of the road for no apparent reason.
Old February 4th, 2016, 7:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

keep bringing it back until they fix it. Tell them you need a rental. GM will pay for a rental for you if you new car is in the shop. Keep driving the rental on their dime until they fix it. The rental factor should increase their motivation to get to the bottom of this.
Old February 4th, 2016, 8:45 PM
CF Beginner

Oh, I never realized that. Thank you and I will. I'll let you know what is the final out come.