New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

air conditioner accumulator outlet will not match up to the compressor suction line

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2020, 8:43 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default air conditioner accumulator outlet will not match up to the compressor suction line

i have a late model 99 chevy c 1500 and i am replacing the ac compresser and the accumulator. seems the suction line to accumulator fitting dosent match up. . the angle that the acc. fitting is about 30 degrees off on the new acc. verses the old one.
should i be looking for some kind of hose/line modification on after market fit up or should i keep looking for another accumulator? guy at the parts house says its the right application ..maybe there is someone out there thats stepped in this one before..thank you, thank you..pulling my hair.
Old September 24th, 2020, 2:14 PM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

Take the old accumulator with you to the store and find one that matches or go to a good AC shop with the old shop and they can make a hose to your specs.
The following users liked this post:
Charles Lastovica (October 15th, 2020)
Old October 14th, 2020, 6:29 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Can you post the brand and the accumulator part number and when you do this you should be replacing the orifice tube at the same time and I ALWAYS recommend a system flush while apart.
The following users liked this post:
Charles Lastovica (October 15th, 2020)
Old October 15th, 2020, 12:01 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by PNW NBS Z71
Can you post the brand and the accumulator part number and when you do this you should be replacing the orifice tube at the same time and I ALWAYS recommend a system flush while apart.
I have done the flush and added pag oil, new compressor and finally found the correct accumulator.
now my problem is I need the adaptors that go from the high and low side “snap on fittings” that connect to my old style gauges. (Which are threaded)
off to the parts house since I don’t live in town. I will soon have this thing under vacuum .. and Freon added . Any idea of how many pounds in a typical Chevy Silverado system?
Old October 15th, 2020, 12:12 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

2.0 pounds refrigerant for standard cab and 2.25 pounds for extended cab. Should be a sticker giving this info on the evaporator cover under the hood. May also be at the radiator top plate where the engine info is.
Old October 19th, 2020, 10:15 AM
CF Beginner

ok so i have gone back together with the new accumulator and compressor, did the flush and added pag oil..drew a vacuum for and hour and it held a vacuum...
now it will only take about a pound and a half of freon but is still cycling the compressor...also there dosent seem to be enough air flow through the cabin vent but that was that way before.
could i have made a bad diagnosis in thinking the compressor was bad? what about the two sensors/ one on the back of the compressor and the other on the accumulator..