New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Completely New Here

Search this Thread

Old February 23rd, 2020, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Completely New Here

I am looking for a little help with some numbers, advise and knowledge from those that have a hell of a lot more experience then myself. I have own a 17 1500 LTZ Z71 and absolutely love the truck. The wife and I are planning to buy a camper for family trips. We have a bunch of dogs and can rely on a "puppy sitter" to take care of them nor do we want to board them because we have 6 dogs(way to much money). We would love to be able to tour around Dallas area and just go camping to unwind. This is what I am running into,

1. My truck is rated to tow 9100lbs.
2.Payload is only 1502lbs
3. Quick math of my cargo, (Kids,Parents and dogs is about 700lbs.
4. If my calculator is worth anything at all, this would mean that I have a remaining payload of 800ish lbs.

All of the campers that we could use which contain bunk beds have a GVW of about 7,500lbs. On other forums it is suggested to use 15% of the total trailed GVW for a safe hitch weight. Again, if my calculator is worth anything that would be a hitch weight of 1125lbs. That is about 325 lbs over payload 700+1125= 1825. Am I over thinking this? Is exceeding the payload rating over the truck a huge concern? Has anyone towed travel trailers that are over our payload rating. Just as an FYI, what ever trailer we purchase i am planning on get a weight distribution hitch with sway control.
Old February 23rd, 2020, 1:26 PM
I'm here for the party

Received 71 Likes on 66 Posts

ditch the kids and you should be safe.... but i think most people who want to tow a camper get at least a ¾ ton or 1 ton. you can easily over load a ½ ton with a camper or even a trailer. that 9100lbs is your gvwr, which includes like you stated the trucks curb weight+cargo (people and luggage and gas)+ tongue weight. best tongue weight is between 9-15% of the trailer. seams like you do understand the weights of your truck. you could get helper springs but that will only help so much. with a camper the only way to adjust your tongue weight is by moving the cargo around.