New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

death trap burb ma -> nc

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2016, 6:37 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default death trap burb ma -> nc

Hello y'all

A few weeks ago I impulsively purchased '97 suburban off the side of the road. From what I gather this thing was someones martha's vineyard / cape cod beach bus and I'm not too sure how well maintained it was. I'm sure my fellow New Englander's know how rusty old trucks can be up here, but damn, this thing looks like someone, let the tide roll in on it. I'm moving south this week and when a $1000 burb caught my eye I couldn't pass up on the opportunity to own my own personal uhaul.

Anyway, it needed a couple things. I replaced the universal joints first, tires are bald, cats rattle, o2 sensor, little stuff. I figured after ujoints and tires this old dog could at least make a 700 mile trip. WRONG. I put plates on it, drove it around a few weeks, showed it off to the guys at work and boom, trans lost reverse, 2nd and 4th. My plan is a $300 junk yard trans out of a '96 pickup and scooting down to NC as fast as I can before anything else blows up. I'll have the old one rebuilt down there.

wish me luck!
Beau

B
Old October 9th, 2016, 8:57 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

have them flush the trans lines, cooler and rad before the used trans and torque convertor go in
Old October 9th, 2016, 5:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
have them flush the trans lines, cooler and rad before the used trans and torque convertor go in
Yeah,that what I was thinking too, good call. I'm oing to swap it myself with a friend. I think 14 quarts should be enough for a flush and fill and I was going to replace the trans lines, filter and seal too.