New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Hello from Southern California

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2011, 9:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello from Southern California - 71 GMC Jimmy

Hello, folks. I decided to join here after becoming my father's official mechanic. Our current project is his 71' GMC Jimmy. How I got this gig was, after working on it for 2 days, I've had it running better than it has running for the last 10 years. lol. I swapped out the crappy quadra-jet (what with the stuck floats, and metering rods) for an Edelbrock performer 600CFM (manual choke FTW), and did a SeaFoam, (upper cylinders and fuel only). It makes me mad that the mechanics he took it to were either so inept, or crooked, they couldn't get the thing running decently for almost a decade. With what I learned in ROP and High school automotive, it's looking like I'll be able to do most of the mechanical restoration myself. Except for perhaps a transmission rebuild. Maybe after tech school.

We are in the process of preparing it for the Route 66 Rendezvous in September (already registered). Below I linked videos of the SeaFoam, and idle afterwards.

Part 1 YouTube - ‪71 GMC Jimmy (New carb and Sea-Foam)‬‏

Part 2 YouTube - ‪71 GMC Jimmy (New carb and Sea-Foam) pt2‬‏

Next up is an exhaust system, cherry bomb glasspack, to make it a little more fun for the auto show, in September.

Let me know what you guys think.
Attached Thumbnails Hello from Southern California-2011-06-01-17.33.22.jpg   Hello from Southern California-2011-06-01-17.34.07.jpg  

Last edited by Oldschool4x4; June 3rd, 2011 at 9:13 PM. Reason: Thread title