New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Hi, I'm a newby, and I possibly made a catastrophic mistake. (technical question)

Search this Thread

Old August 8th, 2016, 10:10 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi, I'm a newby, and I possibly made a catastrophic mistake. (technical question)

Hello all,
My name is Tommy and I'm currently driving a 2004 Chevrolet Impala LS. This past weekend I took on a pretty big backyard job (In my opinion). I replaced the L&R Lower control arms and L&R Inner and Outer Tie rods. My question goes for the reassembly procedure. The manual says I have to bend down the locking ring on the inner tie rod to the flats on the rack. However I cannot get to it to bend, kink, or otherwise move at all like the original equipment. So I just put it all back together (Torqued to 75 Ft Lb.) without bending the lock rings or using any "Loctite". The lack of space makes this job go quite slowly, and I really don't want to disassemble this thing again. My question is: "Would it be fine as is?" without thread locker. I really don't think the old ones moved at all.

I apologize if this is a beaten topic, but I'm concerned about this issue.

Thank you
Old August 8th, 2016, 10:41 AM
CF Monarch

Received 362 Likes on 343 Posts

It was designed that way for a reason. I would not trust it the way you left it. It might come loose and apart while driving. I would do it the right way.
Old August 8th, 2016, 11:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldchevy
It was designed that way for a reason. I would not trust it the way you left it. It might come loose and apart while driving. I would do it the right way.
Thanks for the quick reply! I had that feeling.

I will move this post to the appropriate forum page.