New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Hi - looking for suggestions

Search this Thread

Old August 3rd, 2019, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hi - looking for suggestions

Hi, all.

I'm a new user here, and I do not currently own a Chevy. I am interested in a Chevy Suburban/Tahoe or GMC Yukon.

Right now, I tow a popup camper with a Honda Odyssey, but I'm wanting a bigger camper now, so I need a bigger tow vehicle. A VW Touareg would be a great option (7,716 pound towing capacity!) if my family were smaller, but with 3 children (currently ages 7, 10, 11), we need something bigger than the VW. I've been looking around, and it looks like I probably want a Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon.

My budget will be no more than $25k, so I'm definitely looking at something used. I've been considering a 2007-2014 model, and those can be had with anywhere from 90k miles to 200k miles, ranging from $10k (175k-200k miles) to $25-30k (75-100k miles).

My needs list includes DVD player and tow package, and my wishlist includes 4WD (we make an annual trip to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving or Christmas) and backup camera (if it doesn't have one, I will install one). I can also install a brake controller if the unit we buy doesn't have one.

Are there specific concerns I should know about regarding the purchase of one of these vehicles with 150-200k miles on the clock? A local used car dealer has a 2005 Yukon with 197k miles, for $5,000. At that price, I don't really care if it only lasts me a year.

Of course, anything I buy I will have checked out by a reputable mechanic.

I would appreciate your buying advice and tips.

Thanks.
Old August 4th, 2019, 6:01 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by eagle243
Hi, all.

I'm a new user here, and I do not currently own a Chevy. I am interested in a Chevy Suburban/Tahoe or GMC Yukon.

Right now, I tow a popup camper with a Honda Odyssey, but I'm wanting a bigger camper now, so I need a bigger tow vehicle. A VW Touareg would be a great option (7,716 pound towing capacity!) if my family were smaller, but with 3 children (currently ages 7, 10, 11), we need something bigger than the VW. I've been looking around, and it looks like I probably want a Suburban/Tahoe/Yukon.

My budget will be no more than $25k, so I'm definitely looking at something used. I've been considering a 2007-2014 model, and those can be had with anywhere from 90k miles to 200k miles, ranging from $10k (175k-200k miles) to $25-30k (75-100k miles).

My needs list includes DVD player and tow package, and my wishlist includes 4WD (we make an annual trip to Wisconsin for Thanksgiving or Christmas) and backup camera (if it doesn't have one, I will install one). I can also install a brake controller if the unit we buy doesn't have one.

Are there specific concerns I should know about regarding the purchase of one of these vehicles with 150-200k miles on the clock? A local used car dealer has a 2005 Yukon with 197k miles, for $5,000. At that price, I don't really care if it only lasts me a year.

Of course, anything I buy I will have checked out by a reputable mechanic.

I would appreciate your buying advice and tips.

Thanks.
What kind of motor in liters is this GMC? What are the axle ratios? Any service records? What is the exact model? SLE? Denali? XL? Any rust beyond surface?
Old August 4th, 2019, 11:31 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

With The 2007+, AFM has been an issue for a lot of people. Oil control rings get plugged up causing oil consumption. The AFM lifters can get stuck collapsed which either requires new lifters or a replacement engine. Many go the replacement engine route because the cost is not much more.

The 5.3L has the highest reported AFM related issues. I've heard of one 6.0L that had AFM related issues.

I've always used fully synthetic in my 2007 Suburban 5.3L and I have 293,400 miles on it. Even with fully synthetic, I started having oil consumption issues. By 180,000 miles, it was about 1 qt every 2,000 miles. I did all the updates to mitigate oil consumption which helped quite a bit. I even went 8,000 miles without the oil low light coming on a couple times. Highway driving seems to cause much higher oil consumption.

The 5.3L in the suburban is a bit under-powered for towing from what I've experienced. I wish I had the 6.0L instead.

However, If anything were to happen to my truck and I could get another 2007+ 5.3L Yukon XL or Suburban for under $10K and it ran well, I'd take it.

Last edited by KChevy75; August 4th, 2019 at 4:20 PM.
Old August 5th, 2019, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by oilcanhenry
What kind of motor in liters is this GMC? What are the axle ratios? Any service records? What is the exact model? SLE? Denali? XL? Any rust beyond surface?
I replied yesterday but my reply included links to the vehicles I am considering. I'm replying again on the assumption that a moderator won't approve the earlier reply that included links.

According to the VIN decoder on this site, the GMC is a 6.0 w/ 3.73 axle ratio. I don't know of any available service records, but can ask. The 2005 is a Yukon Denali. The ad indicates that there is rust in the rocker panels and that some gauges do not work, but that the unit is mechnically sound. That's all I know on that one so far.

Originally Posted by KChevy75
With The 2007+, AFM has been an issue for a lot of people. Oil control rings get plugged up causing oil consumption. The AFM lifters can get stuck collapsed which either requires new lifters or a replacement engine. Many go the replacement engine route because the cost is not much more.
Thanks for the very helpful reply! I did not know about the AFM issue, and this is exactly the kind of information I was seeking.

However, If anything were to happen to my truck and I could get another 2007+ 5.3L Yukon XL or Suburban for under $10K and it ran well, I'd take it.

Honestly, this is kind of what I've been thinking: It appears that mechanically sound $10k Suburbans don't come around that often, so if we can deal with its cosmetic issues and the fact that the rear seat is not a bench but rather 2 captain's chairs, then it might be a winner.

Last edited by eagle243; August 5th, 2019 at 9:13 AM. Reason: Text clarification.