New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Howdy!

Search this Thread

Old October 8th, 2006, 7:29 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Howdy!

Hey. I'm a new member. Actually, my GF owns the Tahoe, but I'm the one responsible for maintainence. That being said, I couldn't find the "search" button to answer a question, so here it goes:

My GF's 1999 Tahoe 4DR, 4WD, 5.7L, Automatic and I'm trying to diagnose an electronics problem. The symptoms are as follows, turn the key, engine cranks over but won't start. I've reset the engine computer by unplugging the battery and stepping on the brake a few times and that worked two weeks ago. I attempted it this morning (inexplicable return of the problem, i.e., the car hasn't been driven in two days and it worked before that) and got nothing. It'll crank until the battery dies, if I were to do that.

Any tricks or ideas for getting it started so I can have a mechanic look at it on Monday? I've made this a personal vendetta against the Tahoe and I must get it started.

Thanks and lets hope someting works!

P.S. I've had no CEL's so am I looking at a new computer?
Old October 9th, 2006, 8:41 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Howdy!

You might want to think about it being the PassLock...security-system. Turn the key ON and
you will get the indicator-light for the PassLock showing on the dash. Leave the key ON for
at least twenty-minutes, maybe even thirty. The light should go out and not be on or blinking
and then turn the key OFF and try starting it as normal. This method SHOULD reset the PassLock
and allow you to start the vehicle.