New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

Instrument Panel Gauges

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2017, 12:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Instrument Panel Gauges

Hello. I have a 2003 Tahoe, 5.3, gas, 2WD, 185k, that is experiencing intermittent instrument gauge failure.
About a month ago, the gauges didn't come on, and after running the vehicle down the road, they began working. Since then they continue to do the same, sometimes I can push or bang on dash and they start up.
I have come across the information about the manufacturer replacement of the whole cluster, but since mine is an 2003, I am way past the requirements.
The gauges, odometer and PRNDL23 and startup cycle that usually runs at startup are the only things out. The lights, turn signals, and hazards work.
I have got them to work before, when I reattached the wire pin harness after trying to multimeter test it. I thought I knew what wires weren't get voltage but evidently I had wrong pinout diagram.
I do know that there are (4) wires next to each other, Orange, Dark Blue, Dark Green/White, and Yellow. The diagrams I have seen show them as DIC switches or vehicle an engine speed, and washer voltage and an serial port data link. I doubt it's the latter.
I have checked all fuses, battery output, and whatever ground wires I could fine but still no luck.
More information; Even though all the fuses, wires and relays seemy to be okay, here are some other issues that either started mainly before this issue.

1. The temperature and compass readout on rearview mirror not working.
2. What I believe is some sort of ambient light sensor, on top, middle of dash, up against window (clear dome shaped) , popped out of dashis and wasn't connected, so I reattached.
3. Both keyless remotes not working and even with new batteries and going through process to configure, no luck. The right passenger door is all working.
4. The driver outside mirror will not adjust from driver door controls, everything else will.
5. Driver door speaker, plays lows volume, all others fine.
6. Poor stereo reception periodically, especially AM, even when known stations are nearby.
7. Aftermarket rear overhead DVD system stopped working (just can't play movies all else ok) quite awhile ago, but now, after closing vehicle doors and starting ignition, I must manually turn off its dome lights.
8. Not related, hopefully, rear HVAC hasn't worked since compressor went out, but supposedly that needs to be fixed separately, an orifice.
9. The windshield washer reservoir has always leaked, so I don't fill it. However, when having oil changed, they do. This leaking is right above quite a few battery and other wires and cables, maybe getting wet.
10. Replaced a blower actuator, the one insidea blower casing passenger side.
11. Replaced throttle body within two years.

I think that is all the information.
I have tried disconnecting batter, reset.

I don't think MOSAT (sp?), or the typical suggestion of the solder of board for gauges is the problem, I think it is a ground or other communication with link.
Any suggestions, diagrams, or part numbers, would be great.
I have pictures of the pin harness and others.
Old January 30th, 2017, 4:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Tanin Auto Electronix here. We want to help out if we can! We can't diagnose without seeing the cluster but we do have a diagnostics repair service if you are interested in sending it in for us to check it out. If it is not repairable for some reason, we can also locate a replacement and program the correct mileage into it for you.

Here is the link to our diagnostics page:

Gauge Cluster, Speedometer, Lexus SC300 SC400 ECU Diagnosis Repair Service

You can also check out this repair service for the cluster here for more information on what we all do:

2003 - 2006 Silverado, Sierra, Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, Escalade, Envoy, Trailblazer, Impala, Monte Carlo, Cavalier, Sunfire Gauge Cluster Repair

Feel free to give us a call today! We just posted a coupon code for this repair service as well so if you call in and we can help out, use code CHEVY10LOVE for 10% off now through Feb.28th 2017.