New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

My 2003 Chevy Malibu Starts Up By Itself!!!!

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2016, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My 2003 Chevy Malibu Starts Up By Itself!!!!

Car does not have remote starter installed. Found the car running with doors locked and no key in ignition with ignition still in off position. Car cut off when brake pedal was depressed. Anybody have any clue what is going on here?
Old December 31st, 2016, 9:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

sure sounds like a remote start is present.
how do you know a remote start was not installed before you owned it? Have you looked under the dash for a remote start module?
Old January 1st, 2017, 8:54 AM
CF Beginner

Point taken. The dash is pretty much enclosed, is there a certain area i should investigate first and what should i be looking for? Thanks for your reply btw
Old January 1st, 2017, 9:12 AM
CF Beginner

I took panel off directly above brake panel and found nothing appearing to be an add on. While putting cover back on i noticed two small toggle switches (upper and lower) to the right and above hood release. Do you know what these are for?
Old January 1st, 2017, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

pics would help
remote start kits use one toggle switch to put the unit into service mode to disable remote start.
the module will be a plastic box with wires coming out of it. Since a brake pedal input is required...look for wiring spliced into the brake pedal position switch.
remove the knee bolster...the panel below the steering column...most modules are stuffed or zip tied in there.
Old January 1st, 2017, 11:04 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for your help so far. I wont be able to continue til tomorrow eve, let you know then