New Member Welcome Area New to CF? Stop in and introduce yourself.
This section is not for help threads.
Please introduce yourself here, but go to your model vehicle section to post questions and get answers to them. Thanks! :)

New 64 Malibu SS owner.

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2020, 6:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 64 Malibu SS owner.

Good Afternoon,

My name is Mike and I recently acquired a 64 SS malibu from my uncle. The car has been in the family for around 40 years and has been sitting for roughly 35. My goal here is to learn more about the car, share my build, and use the site as a source of general info. The car was Assembled in Van Nuys California and has lived most if not all of its life in the High Desert, the good is not much moisture, the bad terrible sun exposer.

First question I have is in regards to the rear end trim package. The car is a 64 according to the VIN but the trim on rear is that of a 65 best I can tell as most is missing.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 6:27 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by superman180
Good Afternoon,

My name is Mike and I recently acquired a 64 SS malibu from my uncle. The car has been in the family for around 40 years and has been sitting for roughly 35. My goal here is to learn more about the car, share my build, and use the site as a source of general info. The car was Assembled in Van Nuys California and has lived most if not all of its life in the High Desert, the good is not much moisture, the bad terrible sun exposer.

First question I have is in regards to the rear end trim package. The car is a 64 according to the VIN but the trim on rear is that of a 65 best I can tell as most is missing.

Thanks in advance.

Mike.
Had three kids my age in high school with a 64 Malibu, loved the tail lights. I don't know if what year Chevy put cowl tags on cars, that would be what it was born with. Not uncommon to have crossover years body styles in general, also not uncommon later years to have different engines in GM vehicles.
The following users liked this post:
superman180 (September 22nd, 2020)
Old September 22nd, 2020, 6:41 PM
CF Beginner

Last edited by superman180; September 22nd, 2020 at 6:43 PM.
Old September 22nd, 2020, 7:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 363 Likes on 344 Posts

Needs a lot of work and parts, but also a very nice car. I would enjoy working on it!! Have fun!!
The following users liked this post:
superman180 (September 22nd, 2020)
Old September 22nd, 2020, 7:51 PM
CF Beginner

It sure does and I have a lot of energy for the work, parts will get pricey but I'll take my time. Not going for frame off resto at this time, still need to get all the kids thru school. I aim to get it back on the road, maybe just clear over patina for time being. couldn't pass it up for 1500, I will really enjoy the work!
Old September 30th, 2020, 2:15 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Welcome to the forum, Mike! Thanks for joining us. There are lots of great choices for parts, service and many owners willing to help you. Good luck with all your plans and keep us posted!